The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - Some recent wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

WTN - Some recent wines

by John S » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:39 pm

Here's some brief impressions of some wines I've had from my cellar lately. The savennieres were particularly memorable, although they are one of my favourite wines.

• 2007 McWilliam's Mount Pleasant Wines Sémillon Elizabeth - Australia, New South Wales, Hunter Valley (2019-10-30)
    Hazy notes from a couple of days ago. This is still cruising along nicely - the screwcap seems to make this almost immortal. Medium bodied, light lanolin and toast flavours, nice intensity, elegance and balance, with the acidity still being a key element of the wine. Still seems quite youthful, glad to have a couple bottles left. (B+/A-)
  • 2008 Efeste Cabernet Sauvignon Big Papa - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2019-10-28)
    Notes from the second night open. This is indeed a big cabernet: the name certainly fits the wine. There are intense, concentrated blackcurrant and black cherry on top of still considerable tannins on the full bodied palate. It seems so fruit and tannin forward that there aren't really any other flavours that dare emerge. So not at all complex but certainly powerful and varietally correct (the equally powerful nose does have slight cedar and herbs besides the 'gobs' of black fruit). But I like healthy tannins, so I enjoyed this wine more than I thought I would. I think this should last quite a while yet, but wonder if those tannins (or fruit) will ever soften? This wine will frighten those who look for elegance or complexity! (A-)
  • 2012 Castello di Gabbiano Chianti Classico Bellezza Gran Selezione - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (2019-10-25)
    Hazy notes. Medium bodied, with some conspicuous oak notes, but also cherries, leather and tobacco. Overall a tasty wine though. (B+/A-)
  • 2009 Sheridan Vineyard L'Orage - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Yakima Valley (2019-10-19)
    There were some nice blackfruit flavours and structure here, but there also seemed to be some added acidity or perhaps some VA that led to a somewhat nasty finish. It seemed like a Frankenstein wine, with all the parts just not coming togther. Not rated.
  • 2011 Soter Pinot Noir North Valley - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (2019-10-14)
    As per the vintage, this was a rather feminine version of OR Pinot. I mean that in a very positive sense, as it had a freshness and juiciness that are often lacking from the 2012-2018 vintages. Cherries, mushrooms, earth and raspberries on the lovely nose and medium bodied palate. Another ‘shitty’ 2011 OR Pinot that I quite enjoyed. Drinking well now, but no rush. (B+/A-)
  • 2011 Champalou Vouvray - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (2019-10-14)
    Hazy notes from last night. My previous notes still seem relevant. There is a nice balance of fruit and a textural thickness in this very slightly off dry wine. Both citrus and stonefruits are evident. It is aging well and should last a while yet. Very good QPR. (B+/A-)
  • 2014 Môreson Chardonnay Mercator - South Africa, Coastal Region, Franschhoek Valley (2019-10-06)
    A very nice chardonnay with nothing out of place. Medium bodied, nice fruit (mainly in the stonefruit spectrum), oak, acid and concentration levels. Drinking well now (but will last) and very good QPR at the winery price. (A-)
  • 2010 Piccini Brunello di Montalcino Villa Al Cortile - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (2019-10-03)
    Notes from the second night, after the wine had opened up. Light to medium ruby in colour with some browning. Nice nose of red berries, herbs, cedar and tobacco. Medium bodied palate with a nice velvety texture, and red berries, earth, tobacco and leather. Good acidity left and a bit of grippy tannins too. A good but not a great Brunello, but good QPR and classic Brunello characteristics. (B+/A-)
  • 2016 Château de Varennes Savennières - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Savennières (2019-09-29)
    A modern version of a savennieres, much more crisp and clean than usual. Probably picked earlier, so lower alcohol and higher acidity. I kinda missed the riper fruit characteristics - no wet wool or lanolin and no oily texture here - but it is young, and it was a well made, interesting wine. The fruit here is more in the citrus rather than tropical realm. (B+)
  • 2006 Domaine Louis Moreau Chablis 1er Cru Les Fourneaux - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (2019-09-09)
    No pox on this bottle! It always a worry when opening an older chablis. But this was in the zone now, with the rich butterscotch flavours developing on a medium-bodied, yet rich palate. Enough acid to keep it interesting, but few mineral notes left. Somewhere between secondary and tertiary now. Very enjoyable now. (A-)
  • 2010 Januik Cabernet Sauvignon Ciel du Cheval Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain (2019-09-08)
    Januik cabernets seem to be very predicable: they tend to have a considerable oak presence, even after 9 years (in this case), though it certainly isn't overpowering; they are plush, velvety textured, lowish acid and low tannin wines with good varietal characteristics on a smooth, tasty, medium bodied palate. I would like a bit more character, and especially a bit more structure. Not a bad example, but just not really in my wheelhouse any more. (B+)
  • 2012 Two Vintners Syrah Some Days are Stones - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (2019-08-30)
    Hazy notes. I've been drinking mainly whites and light reds lately, so this wine really made an impact. Quite a big wine, overflowing with a mix of red and black fruits and not as much of the gamy notes that I remember a few years ago. Rich, plush texture and flavours fill the mouth into a nice finish. Big but not overdone, and quite nice in that style. (A-)
  • 2008 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (2019-08-27)
    Light ruby in colour with some bricking. A lovely nose with earthy cherries, raspberries, tea and mushrooms. More of the same on the medium bodied palate; there is considerable acidity and a hint of tannins left as well.; this is in the AWFE camp, though not all the way. Drinking well now, but there are still many years left for this wine. (A-)
  • 2002 Château de Chamboureau Savennières Roche aux Moines Chevalier Buhard - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Savennières Roche aux Moines (2019-08-23)
    My previous note still holds. A lovely gold/bronze colour, it's a wonderful blend of rich, viscous stonefruit and botrytis flavours with healthy acidity giving it excellent balance. Drinking at peak now, but this could probably last a while yet. It's getting rather Sauternes-ish, with some tobacco scents and flavours as well. Very sorry it's my last bottle! (A/A-)
  • 2008 Domaine de la Robinière / Vincent Raimbault Vouvray Sec Bel Air - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (2019-08-22)
    I thought I might have left this basic vouvray in the cellar too long, but it was drinking very well now. A rotten fruit note from the age on the very nice nose, and a very dry finish with mainly citrus notes on the medium bodied but intense palate. Great QPR! (B+)
  • 2017 Tania & Vincent Careme Chenin Blanc Terre Brûlée - South Africa, Coastal Region, Swartland (2019-08-20)
    A nice SA chenin, with perhaps a touch more oak than I’d like to see, but it is young, and there is a lovely, complex nose of wool, mandarin orange, oak and stone fruit, and rich, concentrated flavours of pears, stone fruit and oak notes. Very good QPR, and I’ll buy more and give it a few years. (B+/A-)
  • 2007 Walla Walla Vintners Cabernet Sauvignon Vineyard Select - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (2019-08-14)
    Hazy notes from a few days ago. Classic blackfruit flavours, still a bit of oak notes left, but they are integrated well. The main impression is of a concentrated, rich wine that had a plush, seamless, velvety texture and a hint of chocolate with a long finish. Light tannins add a bit of structure. This is in the zone now, but still has time left I think. Not complex, but this last bottle was certainly tasty. (A-)
  • 2005 Nigl Riesling Hochäcker - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kremstal (2019-07-05)
    Medium gold in colour. A gorgeous nose filled with an explosion of a combination of stonefruit and citrus and a hint of honey. The medium-full bodied palate also provides a blast of yellow fruits (pineapple, pears), honey, minerals and lime. Great intensity on this dry riesling. The screwcap ensures a steady, long evolution, although it is drinking very well now. Lovely wine! (A)
  • 2003 Château de Chamboureau Savennières Cuvée d'Avant - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Savennières (2019-07-01)
    The last bottle was the best. Lots of bottle variation, as there often seems to be with savennieres. Lots of funky chenin flavours, a beautiful texture, long finish and that rotten fruit note that comes with age. I think this is at its peak. (A/A-)