The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Yalumba Hand-Picked Series

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Yalumba Hand-Picked Series

by Jay Labrador » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:36 pm

From this week's regular tasting at Ralph's

Yalumba Hand-Picked Tempranillo Grenache Viognier 2005 - Interesting blend of 90% Tempranillo and 5% each for Grenache and Viognier. Strong coffee nose. Spicy. Ready to drink. Sweet on the palate with a drying finish. Medium to heavy body. Very long finish. Unmistakable Oz Barossa stamp on the Tempranillo. No one is going to mistake this for a Spanish wine. Very good, interesting wine. Finished with screw cap.

Yalumba Hand-Picked Tricentenary Vines Grenache 2003 - Sweet nose. A bit over-oaked but still within tolerable limits. A hint of oxidation. Savory, dry, spicy, dusty. Medium bodied. Very dry finish. Compared to most Oz Grenache I've tried, one of the driest. Good but maybe better with food.

Yalumba Hand-Picked M/G/S 2004 - Mourvedre, Grenache and Shiraz. Very fruity nose. Full-bodied, fruity. Lots of raspberry and a bit of cassis. A hint of cloves comes through with a bit of airing. Quite good but not a stand-out wine in this group.

Yalumba Hand-Picked Shiraz Viognier 2004 - Interesting, complex nose of Curry, oak and roasting meat. Sweet, somewhat overripe fruit. A little too sweet for me. Chocolate. Surprisingly, somewhat abrupt in the finish. Not really my type.