The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

One More Annoying Drinking window Question: Ch. Talbot 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

One More Annoying Drinking window Question: Ch. Talbot 2004

by Brian K Miller » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:05 am

St. Julien (of course). Fourth growth, so maybe 2010? :oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

Re: One More Annoying Drinking window Question: Ch. Talbot 2004

by Bruce K » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:16 am

I'm no expert on this stuff, but I can tell you that I had a bottle of 1983 Chateau Talbot in 1999 and thought it was magnificent. I don't know quite how the vintages compare (I believe '83 was considered a good, albeit tannic vintage) but it wouldn't surprise me if you could cellar this to 2020 or beyond if you have the patience.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:42 am

Fourth growth or not, Talbot is tradionally an ager. Would open the first one in '14.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:34 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:Fourth growth or not, Talbot is tradionally an ager. Would open the first one in '14.

Eek. Will I even live that long? :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:57 pm

Carl's advice is good. When it comes to Bordeaux, ten years is a good rule of thumb for classed growth wines.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:27 pm

Haven't tasted this wine, but absent other info my rule of thumb for Bordeaux that is typically agable is drink within year of release, or hold for at least 10. Drinking a 6 yr old classified Bordeaux can be a sad introduction to the idea of dumb period.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:31 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Haven't tasted this wine, but absent other info my rule of thumb for Bordeaux that is typically agable is drink within year of release, or hold for at least 10. Drinking a 6 yr old classified Bordeaux can be a sad introduction to the idea of dumb period.

Thanks, all.

Another, semi-related question:

Is this as true for the Merlot based wines of Pomerol and Saint Emillion? I've been enjoying some 1998 and 1999 Saint E's lately. I really enjoyed the 1998 Ch. Beau Sejour Becot-once it opened up in the glass over an hour or so.

I was thinking about opening a 1998 Ch. Grand Corbin-Despagne and a 1999 Ch. L'Evangile, which the "usual suspects" in the wine mags suggest will be mature enought to begin drinking in 2007.

My apologies for these questions. Jenise and others are right in that I shouldn't "stress out" over drinking windows, it's just that I've gotten into the hobby fairly recently and have a lot of young and adolescent wines. I'm definitely not touching the nice Pauillacs and more ageable Napa Cabs (Corison Kronos and Montelena and Cliff Lede Poetry) I've overextended my budget to acquire, but....
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:44 pm

Well made St Emilion and Pomerol (not talking about Petrus or Cheval Blanc here) mature in eight or nine years. Keep in mind that they have more than Merlot in them (with a few exceptions). Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon play, particularly Franc. Sometimes Franc even dominates a little.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:06 am

Thanks, Carl.

I'll try these two wines, and give a report. I'm having a "March Merlot Madness" party the first weekend of March, so I want to pour some French wines as well as the usual Napa suspects.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:38 pm

I agree with Carl. You can generally chance it with St. Emilions. The GCD tends to be a rather tannic/rustic style, but if you open the wines ahead of time and aerate or decant sufficiently, you should be able to get them ready to drink and they are probably getting close to the start of their drinking windows.

Which is not to say they wouldn't (particular the L'Evangile) get even better. A question for you: what have you had in the way of older Bordeauxs? I understand your budget limitations and that most of the wines you own are quite young, but I'd hate to see you miss the full glory of that L'Evangile. Not that I know exactly when that's going to be showing, but of your two wines that's one I'd be holding back.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:16 pm

Well....I do have an unclassified generic Bordeaux from 1999, Chateau Mongiron La Fleur-it's another label Thunevin is involved in. And....I will be in Berkeley before March some time or other, so I might buy another unlisted 1998 St. Em that I frankly loved the last two bottles I tried (Chateau Vieux Fortin)-and it's "only" $30. I also liked the 1999 Clos Badon Thunevin, which the Berkeley wine shop I like is also selling for $30 (nice bitter finish!)

So....I will indeed wait on the L"Evangile. I'll decant the GCD for a a couple/three hours. Many of the attendees like a little rusticity and tannins, so-this won't be a problem.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:10 pm

I agree that the more Merlot based wines from the Right Bank tend to not shut down as hard as the Medoc, and mature faster. I quite liked the '98 GCD in Dec- does have some tannins (but actually fairly modern, my guess is Jenise's rustic take came from earlier vintages). Brawny but smooth.

In any case, if you do find a Bdx shut down, usually some decanting or swirling can bring it somewhat back to life (not true with many bigger Burgs, in my experience).

I agree the '98 Vieux Fortin is entering a nice window.
no avatar
User

Aamer Sachedina

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:20 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Aamer Sachedina » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:56 am

While we are on the topic of drinking windows for a 2004 St. Julien, I have some 2004 Lango-Barton that is soon to be added to my cellar.

Wish I could have bought half a case - its only 3. 2014 then for the first bottle? What do you think based on this wine and the 2004 vintage?

-Aamer
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:03 am

Dale Williams wrote:
I agree the '98 Vieux Fortin is entering a nice window.

As with so many things, your "first" is always special. :P Vieux Fortin was my first Bordeaux. :!:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:29 pm

(but actually fairly modern, my guess is Jenise's rustic take came from earlier vintages)

Exactly.