The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Rhone Ringers?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Rhone Ringers?

by Bill Spohn » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:19 pm

And often the land on the shady side of the hill is cheaper. If the trend catches on that may not stay the case. Better get out there and buy some shady property so you can resell at a higher price when vintners realize it may be worth more!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:47 am

This is probably too downscale a wine for your consideration, Bill, but I recently tasted Cline 2018 Sonoma Coast Syrah and was surprised by its Rhone-like character. It's on the rustic side for sure, but cool climate and French oak give it a good start in the right direction.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:20 am

Interesting Robin. I haven't had a Cline in 20 years, and when I did it was probably a Zin. They don't have much of a presence in my market.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:58 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Interesting Robin. I haven't had a Cline in 20 years, and when I did it was probably a Zin. They don't have much of a presence in my market.

Me either, Bill. I got the Cline for this month's Syrah Wine Focus, mainly because I could afford it. :oops: I was surprised when the label led me down a rabbit hole to discover how very serious they've become about environmentalism and sustainability in their Sonoma Coast property, at least. And the wine pleasantly surprised me. Not a Cote-Rotie ringer, of course, but if I close my eyes and wish really hard, I could think about a Saint-Joseph or something.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Tue May 26, 2020 2:16 pm

Bump on this thread re: Bonny Doon. Way back in 2011, my sister in law gave me Randall's book, Been Doon So Long (2009). After starting it years ago, I picked it out of my wine bookshelf and began again last night. And I began to wonder who the Bonny Doon "successors" might be. My take is that Randall was humorous, irreverent, yet usually a reliable producer. And many of the wine prices weren't stratospheric.

Last fall we visited the tasting room in Davenport CA. Had no clue that it would shut down just 3 months later. Purchased a Rose' blend, a Grenache Blanc, and a Syrah. Plus a bottle or 2 as gifts.

Any thoughts on successors/similars based on your impressions of the Bonny Doon brand?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 26, 2020 4:05 pm

I have not thought the recent years of Bonny Doon live up the wines I was first introduced to 20+ years ago. I remembering holding Cigare Volants for ten years and getting terrific secondary nuances that the same wines today don't seem to have the stuffing to achieve.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 26, 2020 5:43 pm

Jenise wrote:I have not thought the recent years of Bonny Doon live up the wines I was first introduced to 20+ years ago. I remembering holding Cigare Volants for ten years and getting terrific secondary nuances that the same wines today don't seem to have the stuffing to achieve.

The 2013 and 2014 Cigare Volants are delicious, especially since I got half bottles (under screw cap by the way) for $9 each. Bought a case of each, and through 3 bottles of each vintage. Delish.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 26, 2020 6:50 pm

I see I did like the '18 pretty well a year ago, "Plum and dark cherry fruit with good acidity. Nicely developed for so young a wine. Not sure wassup with the pricing--$19 in my area where I've paid around $30 for past vintages."

But still, in reference to this thread's title, that's not enough to qualify as a Rhone Ringer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue May 26, 2020 6:53 pm

Cigar Volante always cost about the same as a decent CNduP in our market and they were always simpler and less satisfying, lacking the secondary things that the Rhones showed. Maybe I missed the 'good' vintages, but I gave up after three or four duds. I'd been hoping for a believable ringer but never found one.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 26, 2020 7:08 pm

Graham eventually created a Cigare Réserve that lived up to CNdP. That’s gone now.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue May 26, 2020 7:13 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Graham eventually created a Cigare Réserve that lived up to CNdP. That’s gone now.

Do you recall about what vintage that would have been, David. (PS - it is Grahm)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 26, 2020 7:17 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Cigar Volante always cost about the same as a decent CNduP in our market and they were always simpler and less satisfying, lacking the secondary things that the Rhones showed. Maybe I missed the 'good' vintages, but I gave up after three or four duds. I'd been hoping for a believable ringer but never found one.

There you go: simpler, with an edge of California sweetness. And as such entirely pleasant for $18--but those I've had in recent years have been more crowd-pleaser in style and don't compete at their usual price, even with other Californians. Loved the Cigare Volant rose, though, last year, drank quite a few!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 26, 2020 8:21 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Graham eventually created a Cigare Réserve that lived up to CNdP. That’s gone now.

Do you recall about what vintage that would have been, David. (PS - it is Grahm)

2012 if I recall correctly. My auto correct added the extra a in his name. I write about Port too much.

Edit...2011 was when it reached some reasonable production.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 27, 2020 10:20 am

Was reminded of this thread right now when reading this description of a Washington syrah blend: "chopped parsley, green olive, dried flower, bacon fat, red plum, white pepper, smoke and moist earth notes. The flavors live up to the hype; they're lithe and light but full of fruit and savory notes...." THAT is what an American CdP-wanna be can taste like. But you gotta come to Washington state to get it. :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 27, 2020 10:53 am

Or go to the far Sonoma Coast.
Previous