The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Poggio Alla Badiola 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Simon J

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:40 am

Quebec City

WTN: Poggio Alla Badiola 2004

by Simon J » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:22 am

‘Tis a rare bottle that will induce my wife to drink more than myself and cause her to bed before the kids…leaving me to clear up, put said kids to bed and have just a half–glass full left to contemplate and take notes with. This lovely QPR did it.
The 2004 Poggio Alla Badiola produced by the Mazzei Family (who also bring you the wonderful Castello di Fonterutoli) shows a dark opaque purple just lightening up at the rim and giving up dark red fruit, slightly scorched earth with hints of cloves, smoke and bacon. There is also a whiff you get after a brief rain shower on a hot midsummer’s day, just enough to get my imagination flowing, anticipating the summer to come after the deep snows of this past winter. Quite full in the mouth with a lovely acid structure, this just cries out “Drink Me!” which my wife and I obligingly did.
We drank this with Matzah pizzas adorned with sun-dried tomato pesto and mushrooms, or feta cheese and olives and tomato sauce. Who says Passover has to be boring?

Simon
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WTN: Poggio Alla Badiola 2004

by Bob Ross » Mon May 01, 2006 2:31 pm

Thanks for an interesting post, Simon. The wine sounds fine ... but I was taken with the idea of a matzah pizza.

We love the thin crisp pizza style, and Janet loves my pizzas generally -- thanks in large measure to great tutoring by Robin, Stuart and Jenise over the past two years.

But matzah as a base would be great for those evenings when I've run out of frozen pizza dough and don't have the time or inclination to bang out some "instant" dough. Thanks very much for the idea.

Regards, Bob