The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Linne Calodo--pop and pour?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

Linne Calodo--pop and pour?

by Dan Donahue » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:32 pm

I'm trying my first LC tonight (to see if I should stick with their club). It is the '04 Outsider. Any serving suggestions? Do you pop and pour or decant?

From the posts on CT I gather this is a somewhat contraversial wine. Or maybe it is the producer that causes the uproar.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Linne Calodo--pop and pour?

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:11 pm

Dan Donahue wrote:I'm trying my first LC tonight (to see if I should stick with their club). It is the '04 Outsider. Any serving suggestions? Do you pop and pour or decant?

From the posts on CT I gather this is a somewhat contraversial wine. Or maybe it is the producer that causes the uproar.

Dan, I've never tried this wine, so I probably shouldn't even be answering. But hey, I'm never reluctant to speculate. ;)

Based on the description of the 2005 Outsider on the Linne Calodo Website ...

<i>70% Zinfandel, 27% Syrah, 3% Mourvedre - Spring Release 2007.
The fruit for the Outsider comes from Northern facing slopes and some lower lying areas where the soil is deeper and the temperatures are cooler. These factors produce less acid in the grape and a glycerin-like mouth feel. Aged in both new American oak and neutral barrels, the wine gains an edge of spice and earth.</i>

... I don't see that I would vary from my usual policy of not decanting Zins.
no avatar
User

Anthony Ianni

Rank

Just got here

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:03 am

Lincoln University, Pa

by Anthony Ianni » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:02 am

Dan. What did you think? I visited there in August and loved it. The wines are very good although I have not delved into my stash of LC. Thanks!

Anthony
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:59 pm

Thanks Robin. I normally don't decant zins either but given the amount of Syrah (20%) and Mourvedre (12%) in the '04 blend I thought some air might help. I ended up opening the bottle and letting stand for 30 minutes and I think an hour might have worked best.

Anthony--I think you will enjoy your bottle. My note from last night:

2/9/2007 rated 90 points: I can't say that I fully understand this wine, but I find it interesting and very enjoyable. I opened the bottle 30 minutes before dinner; an hour might have worked better. It was a dark, brooding purple and the nose was all about hot, dark fruits. Luckily the heat doesn't show up on the tongue. It is a big, brawny wine that wants to wash over you like a tidal wave but if you pay close attention you notice an unexpected tingle on the palate and that the fruits strobe through the whole red-black spectrum. Throw in some spice and the slightest touch of sweetness over a balanced and languid finish and you have a wine that rewards introspection. I have another bottle that I will open sometime next year.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:11 pm

Dan, you might consider revising your idea of pop and pour on a serious young wine to include an hour decanting, especially if it's a high alcohol number like most Paso wines are. You'll be rewarded more often than not.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov