The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bodegas Los Lanos Pata Negra Gran Reserva 1992

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tyler Brebberman

Rank

Just got here

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:58 pm

WTN: Bodegas Los Lanos Pata Negra Gran Reserva 1992

by Tyler Brebberman » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:38 am

Bodegas Los Lanos Pata Negra Gran Reserva 1992 12.5 % vol 02-09-07

Its been awhile since I've posted, but I am still around =). School and extracurricular activities have lessened my 'conscious' wine drinking. Tonight, however, I have had the luxury of analyzing an interesting bottle again...

I bought this wine on the 50% off rack at my favorite wine shop in town, Maumee Wines. Marked at $12.99, I payed less than $ 7.00. After convincing myself it would be dead for the few hours until I opened it, I was pleasantly surprised by what I found. This 15 year old wine has just the slightest amount of browning around the edges, but otherwise maintains an attractive ruby red color. The nose is simple, but quite vibrant for its age. Loads of red and black fruit hit the palate with the first sip and nicely integrated tannins and great acidity back it up. Plums are the only discernable fruit. A hint of vanilla oak develops after the wine airs a little. The wine does taste mature, but I wouldn't have guessed it to be 15 years old, perhaps 7-10. The finish is sufficient with a nice acidic kick and a dwindling trail of berry fruit. Nice wine, was probably huge in its youth, but has rounded out well. I am no judge, but based on the amount of fruit left, this wine may have lasted another 5-7 years if cellared properly.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Bodegas Los Lanos Pata Negra Gran Reserva 1992

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:12 am

Good to see you back on the forum Tyler. Are you still in the restaurant biz??
no avatar
User

Tyler Brebberman

Rank

Just got here

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:58 pm

Re: WTN: Bodegas Los Lanos Pata Negra Gran Reserva 1992

by Tyler Brebberman » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:14 pm

Not anymore for the moment. I still serve every now and then, but for the most part I am concentrating on school and an internship I managed to get.