The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lapalu 2017

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Lapalu 2017

by Dale Williams » Fri May 22, 2020 3:22 pm

With chicken yassa (Africanonion/pepper stew) the 2017 Lapalu Beaujolais Villages Vieilles Vignes. Crunchy raspberry/cranberry fruit, peppery spice, fresh and juicy, B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Lapalu 2017

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Bring on the stew recipe!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue May 26, 2020 11:02 am

From NYT

Chicken Yassa
INGREDIENTS
4 bone-in, skin-on chicken legs (2 1/2 to 3 pounds)
4 scallions, trimmed, whites and greens finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried)
1 tablespoon white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
½ cup lime juice (from 3 or 4 limes), plus more as needed
4 tablespoons peanut, vegetable or canola oil, plus more as needed
Kosher salt and black pepper
2 pounds yellow onions, halved and sliced 1/2-inch thick
1 green bell pepper, halved, seeded and cut into thin matchsticks
1 whole Scotch bonnet chile, poked with a fork (or 1 whole habanero chile, 1 to 2 minced jalapeños, or 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red-pepper flakes)
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
3 fresh or dried bay leaves
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (optional)
Cooked rice or fonio, for serving

PREPARATION
In a large bowl, combine the chicken legs with the scallions, thyme, vinegar, 1/4 cup lime juice and 1 tablespoon oil. Marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
If using a grill or grill pan, heat it over high; if using a cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. (If cooking indoors, pat the chicken dry, discarding marinade, then brush the chicken lightly with oil.) Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper. Working in batches if necessary, grill or sear the chicken until browned on both sides, 6 or 7 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high. When the oil is hot, add the onions in an even layer, season with salt and pepper, and let sear without stirring for 3 to 4 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir occasionally to prevent onions from burning at the bottom of the pot, and allow onions to cook until they start to caramelize and take on some color, 10 to 12 minutes.
Add the bell pepper, chile, garlic, ginger, bay leaves and the mustard (if using), and continue stirring, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of water as needed to avoid scorching at the bottom of the pot, another 5 minutes. Stir in another 1/4 cup lime juice, and season with 1 tablespoon salt and 2 teaspoons pepper.
Add the grilled chicken into the pot, tucking it under the onions, then top with 1 cup water. Stir well, smooth mixture gently into an even layer, cover and simmer over medium until chicken is cooked through and tender, about 30 minutes.
Season to taste and add more lime juice to taste, if desired. Serve chicken over rice, with onion mixture and sauce drizzled generously on top.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 26, 2020 1:57 pm

A suggestion, consider halving fresh limes and cooking them in the stew itself, rind and all. Brings an interesting (and to me, tantalizing) bitter note along with the tartness. I believe Jessica Harris, a scholar of African cooking, recommended it this way.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov