The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

New Adhesive Technology...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

New Adhesive Technology...

by TomHill » Tue May 26, 2020 11:17 pm

This is probably pretty irrelevant to most all of you, but....
I've been a label collector from the very start.. when my major professor (about 1968) suggested to me I soak off the labels of wines I liked so I could remember then. I've never forgiven Ken for that.
I have probably well over 100,000 labels, though recently they are not well curated. I know... I've been looking for a good 12-step program!!
Used to be they all had water-soluble glue and fell right off with a brief soak in water. But adhesive technology advanced. I give them a soak and then use a single-edge razor blade in a holder to peel them off. I can usually tell by feeling the label if it'll come off. Probably lose only about 1 in 25 labels. The Italian labels seem to be the worst.
Over the last year, I've noted there's been a change in adhesive technology. First noted it on the Ridge and DryCreekVnyd labels. Now I'm seeing it on more wineries. You use the razor to peel up the edge, then firmly grasp the label and pull hard. The label separates from the adhesive that sticks to the btl, and then you just pull the label right on off. Sometimes the label is printed on a foil backing, but not always.
But, anyway, it's a technological advance that I very much approve of.
For those of you that have questioned the weirdness of TomHill, this should be the final nail in that coffin.
Tom
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: New Adhesive Technology...

by Robin Garr » Wed May 27, 2020 7:43 am

TomHill wrote:For those of you that have questioned the weirdness of TomHill, this should be the final nail in that coffin.
Tom

https://youtu.be/e4q6eaLn2mY
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: New Adhesive Technology...

by Paul Winalski » Sat May 30, 2020 2:25 pm

I used to collect labels, too. Like you I found that they went from just falling off immediately to being cussedly hard to get off the bottle without damage. I gave up on label collecting. I wonder if the switch to more persistent adhesives had anything to do with fraud prevention? IIRC one of the things the FBI found when they raided Kurniawan's house was a sink full of bottles having the labels soaked off of them.

-Paul W.