The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: SandiSkerk Malvazija '16....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: SandiSkerk Malvazija '16....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Fri May 29, 2020 1:21 pm

Tried this Wed night w/ Susan:
1. SandiSkerk Malvazija IGT: VeneziaGiulia (14%; OliverMcCrumImports) SandiSkerk/Prepotto/Trieste 2016: Light gold/burnished bronze color; lovely very fragrant Malvasia/honeyed/orangey/bit graham cracker/perfumed talc very spicy slight chalky/mineral very slight phenolic/resiny somewhat complex beautiful nose; lightly tart/tangy slight phenolic/resiny strong Malvasia/graham cracker some orangey/honeyed bit earthy/chalky/mineral quite spicy/slight cardamon lovely flavor; very long/lingering light phenolic/resiny some Malvasia/muscatty/graham cracker/orangey/honeyed complex finish; a beautiful expresion of Kras/Carso Malvasia with just enough skin-contact to make the wine very interesting but not dominated by the phenolics.
1. Wed was OliverMcCrum's BD so I opened one of my favorite producers from his portfolio, SandiSkerk. Sandi is one of the best produces on the Italian side of the Kras/Carso. Most of his whites are made w/ some limited skin-contact. This wine is made from Malvasia d'Istriana, a variety I find much more interesting than the usual Malvasia Bianco. It is just now starting to show some evolution and will probably improve over the next 4-6 yrs.
Tom