The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Penfolds Bin 389

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 1998 Penfolds Bin 389

by Redwinger » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:55 am

1998 Penfolds Bin 389, Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz, South Australia
Decanted for 3 hours (Considerable sediment btw).
Occasionally, but not often, I have a yearning for a big, in my face wine, so I pulled this from the cellar as a candidate to fill that niche. Certainly not a style of wine I would seek out on a regular basis, but on this cold winter evening it did nicely.
The nose is sweet vanilla and coconut flavored oak which surprisingly wanes somewhat on the palate. I'm sure the oak adverse would find the oak level annoying if not downright inhospitable. Not at all flabby or jammy. Dark fruit, mint/menthol accompany some unresolved tannins. Quite primary at this stage and still needs a few more years to chisel away at the sharp edges.
I don't recall the price on this but ~$20 seems familiar.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: 1998 Penfolds Bin 389

by Ian Sutton » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:45 am

Bill
I've got three of these in the cellar, so your note is appreciated. No plans to grab one for 3-4 years yet, which is reassuring in light of your comments.

Over here it's about £15, but occasionally reduced to ~ £12, which in a good vintage is a nice bargain. By many accounts, 2002 seems the most recent quality vintage worth chasing since the 96 and 98 versions.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:05 pm

Redwinger wrote:1998 Penfolds Bin 389, Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz, South Australia
Occasionally, but not often, I have a yearning for a big, in my face wine, so I pulled this from the cellar as a candidate to fill that niche. Certainly not a style of wine I would seek out on a regular basis, but on this cold winter evening it did nicely.
The nose is sweet vanilla and coconut flavored oak which surprisingly wanes somewhat on the palate. I'm sure the oak adverse would find the oak level annoying if not downright inhospitable. Not at all flabby or jammy. Dark fruit, mint/menthol accompany some unresolved tannins. Quite primary at this stage and still needs a few more years to chisel away at the sharp edges.
I don't recall the price on this but ~$20 seems familiar.
Redwinger

Oak? Vanilla? Wow, Bill, that surprises me. My recollection of the '98 Bin 389 was tannin, acid and structure, but that was from '01 or '02. Maybe that was all covering up the wood, but that seems rather hard to believe since I am, if anything, even more oak-averse than you. :wink:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:40 pm

Mark,
The oak influence was definitely there on the nose and as I mentioned it did disapate on the palate. I didn't feel it was out of balance, but the card carrying oakophobes just might think otherwise. Sorry if I didn't convey that clearly enough. (English as a first language is often challenging for me).
We are in agreement about the tannins/acid/structure part.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:07 am

Everyone should check in on Sues blog as she tastes some older Penfolds!! Makes for some interesting reading.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:21 am

Redwinger wrote:1998 Penfolds Bin 389, Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz, South Australia

Glad to read your note on this wine. I loved the 1998 on release - when I had a good bottle - but never bought any as every second bottle I tasted (or so it seemed) had insidious cork taint. I wasn't prepared to take the risk.
However I did taste the 1996 Bin 389 the other night - absolutely glorious with many years of life ahead of it. Like your 1998, the fruit in the 1996 was still quite primary but the oak was a harmonious part of the wine with an infusion of maturity entering on the aftertaste. Amazing colour too.
Until the 1998 vintage, the 389 was one of my favourite wines to cellar.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

1996 Penfolds Bin 389

by Charles Weiss » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:16 am

Sue,
I've started popping one of these every year or two. Getting better each time. It sounds like I may have underestimated the time frame.
Charles

• 1996 Penfolds Bin 389 - Australia, South Australia (7/2/2006)
    Drinking well now, with tannins softening. Pretty black Aussie fruit kept in balance with plenty of acidity. Start to drink now and over the next 5 years or so.
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: 1996 Penfolds Bin 389

by Sue Courtney » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:17 pm

Hi Charles,

I've got the Penfolds 'Reward of Patience' book, edition IV, here - although edition V is on the Penfolds website. They estimate time frames as follows

1996 Bin 389 - to 2020
1998 Bin 389 - to 2030 !!!

Interesting comparing the drinking windows of some of the older wines between the two books, eg the 1992 in ROW IV had 2007 as the upper level, in ROW, the drinking window has extended to 2015.

There is something about these wines that makes them extremely ageworthy and a pleasure to pop a cork on with some age under their belt.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

Re: 1996 Penfolds Bin 389

by Charles Weiss » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:45 pm

Sue,
Thanks.
2020 and 2030 !!!
I'll have tolook up what they say about MY ageworthiness.
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:56 pm

I thought this set of TNs from five years ago might fit your thread, Bill, since the 1998 showed so well then:

1/20/01 Sat Penfolds – The Australian Grand Cru. The tasting covered six vintages of Bin 389: 1980, 1983, 1990, 1993, 1996 and 1998, and the 1988 Grange. This was a perfectly organized version of a trade tasting in an educational format. Jim Turcott, regional sales guy for Penfolds, was the emcee; and Ian Shepherd, the winemaker at Seven Peaks in California who had also worked on some of these vintages. Both covered the technical and commercial aspects quite well. William Sherrer and Andrea Immer covered consumer and restaurant perspectives for the same wines. A very good balance overall.

Shepherd gave a general description of Bin 389 – all four of the presenters called it “Bin Three Eight Nine”. I’ve heard it called “Bin Three Eighty Nine”, and Robin Garr said that’s what the tasting room guys in Australia called it as well.

In any event, Bin 389 is a blend of Shiraz from Barossa Valley and Cabernet Sauvignon from South East Australia, the blend usually around 55/45, but varying from year to year. It is aged in American oak, 20% new and the balance two to four years old. All four presenters believed that Bin 389 ages well; vintages from the 1960s and 70s are still drinking well.

1980 Penfolds Bin 389 Australia. Shepherd said that 1980 was a cool year with Cabernet Sauvignon (60%) dominating. Bright red color, medium hue, good minty aromas and taste, slightly acidic with bright fruit tastes, generally silky mouth feel and long finish. Immer found leather, forest and lead pencil notes. Both she and Sherrer recommended that this vintage be served with simple foods that would not overcome the floral aromas and flavors of the wine: filet, nothing spicy. T3*. (A nice wine for those like me who like their Cabernet Sauvignon old.)

1983 Penfolds Bin 389 Australia. 1983 was a drought year according to Shepherd, a year with severe drought, followed by fire and in the Barossa floods. (Oz also won the America Cup that year.) Harvest was very early, all by February 9; blend 55/45. Deep red color; medium hue; very good fruit and spice aroma; very good fruit tastes with firm tannins and a long finish. This certainly could use more time, and this seems considerably younger than the three years between 1980 and 1983 would suggest. Immer found plums and licorice and a little darker fruit than the 1980, she liked the way the two components had blended together after an hour in the glass. She added it had lots of life left. T3*+.

1991 Penfolds Bin 389 Australia. Shepherd said that 1990 had been a great year in Australia, but that many people preferred the 1991 vintage. Cabernet Sauvignon was outstanding in Coonawarra that year – the blend is 70/30. This wine had a lovely fruit aroma, rich and very spicy, with leafy and eucalyptus notes, and a wonderful balance of fruit, spice, and the two components, long finish, lovely wine. Both Sherrer and Immer recommended matching this wine with foods of similar flavor characteristics. T4*.

Immer found black cherry notes with lots of acidity, and Sherrer suggested rich, smoky foods. Both said that the ’91 was full bodied, but not as ripe as the ’90. In particular, Immer said she had spent considerable time with a Culinary Institute chef experimenting with food matches for the 1991 Bin 389; they found that it went very well with grilled vegetables with a caramelized taste, especially fennel and egg plant.

1993 Penfolds Bin 389 Australia. Shepherd said that 1993 was a very cool vintage, with the latest picking on record on April 19. 60/40 blend. Deep red color; medium hue; very rich fruit aroma with minty notes; relatively simple fruit flavors that showed a bit of development in the glass, good oak, long finish, but concentrated and closed. Promising wine. T4*.

1996 Penfolds Bin 389 Australia. A model year in Australia according to Shepherd, rivaling 1990. High yields – 2.5 tons/acre versus 2.0 normally – but excellent fruit. 51/49. Deep red color; medium hue; lovely fruit and especially spice aromas, very ripe fruit, jammy and concentrated with noticeable Shiraz flavors, long finish, lovely, lovely wine. T4*+.

Immer was enthusiastic about this wine: “I’m glad I have some! Yeah!” (She is a small package with wonderful energy and enthusiasm.) Very ripe, jammy, concentrated, stewed fruit. Lots going on here, and both she and Sherrer said it should be served with richer foods. Sherrer called this a sommelier’s dream: Simple enough for beginners to enjoy and yet complex enough for any wine lover to study and enjoy.

1998 Penfolds Bin 389 Australia. Release date in about two months, although the wine is in the bottle; 58/42. Shepherd said the year was quite early. Deep red color, medium hue, excellent fruit aroma and taste, firm acidity, high level of alcohol, very oaky, not yet integrated with the fruit, good structure, needs lots of time, and seems riper than the 1996. T3*+.

Sherrer and Immer suggested grilled duck, venison, fruit sauces and ravioli with cheese to go with this wine.

1998 Penfolds Grange Australia. 95% Shiraz, 5% Cabernet Sauvignon. Wow! Deep purple color, deep hue, sweet fruit and black spice aromas, complex, great length, perhaps a bit closed but very satisfying after being in the glass for an hour and a half. A wine to drink and not to taste. T5*.

It was a joy to watch Andrea Immer in action and to discuss her book for a few minutes afterwards. Her approach to learning about wine is superb, and I recommend this book strongly to anyone, beginner or more advanced. Her enthusiasm and knowledge is infectious, and her approach is sound. I was delighted to learn that Thor Iverson shared my enthusiasm for her approach, and I commend it to you all.

Regards, Bob