The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve 2003

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve 2003

by Jay Labrador » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:29 am

Lockdown Wine #34. Unbelievably, we are still in quarantine mode here, over a hundred days since this thing started. Spaghetti and meatballs tonight, so an Italian-American wine seemed appropriate.

Cork was a disaster, nearly defeated the Durand corkscrew, but I did manage to pull it out without any bits getting into the wine.

Very dark, opaque. Looks like it's barely 5 years old. On the nose, plenty of ripe black fruit - blueberry, blackberry, cassis, plum. Sweet spices - cinnamon, nutmeg. Mocha, fragrant wood. Palate is full of sweet ripe black fruit - pretty much everything on the nose at the peak of ripeness. Cocoa powder, berry jam, touch of leather. Medium-bodied. Finely balanced and very complex. Impressive length. Finishes quite dry and meaty. Still enough tannins to contribute to the structure. Beautiful wine. Probably has some room to improve, but pretty fantastic at this stage.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve 2003

by Jenise » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:52 am

'03 was such a super-ripe year; I'm impressed by how well many of them show now. I wouldn't have bet on it; that said [she reflects], most vintages are hotter these days.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov