The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Netscape Forum Poll: Red or white?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Netscape Forum Poll: Red or white?

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:25 pm

You don't have to be a wine expert to join in this week's Netscape/CompuServe WineLovers Community poll: Do you prefer to drink (and collect) red wine, white wine or other ... or a little of each? Fill in the ballot, then see how your response compares with wine lovers around the world.

<b>Click here to vote!</b>
(Netscape login/registration not required. Feel free to comment in the Netscape forum or to this thread as you prefer.)
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: Netscape Forum Poll: Red or white?

by David Creighton » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:24 pm

since i mostly like my whites fresh, i collect red and drink a lot of white. expections made for sauterne and some white burgundy.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:12 pm

I'd like to be able to say "both". I'd be kidding myself though. I do drink more whites than reds, and of my modest stash that is aging at home about 60% is white.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:32 pm

I said "All Red" because right now that's all my taste allows. Not had great experiences with whites and my wife hasn't liked any she's tried so I don't really look any more [iffy on spending money for a wine I may not like].

Trying to expand the horizons one wine at a time, though. Just picked up a muscadet today and will try a riesling in the coming weeks and will go from there. Hope to get in on some tastings, too, which will help.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:55 pm

As much as I love a whole variety of dry reds, I love whites just as much and could never see myself being a red-only type of wine drinker. In fact, even my home winemaking is typically split 50/50 between red and white. About the only thing I don't do is rosé, oddly enough - though that would change if I had access to grapes like Catawba, New York Muscat and Delaware.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:03 pm

Cellartracker says I have about 80% reds:
Red 79.03
Red-Fortified 0.67%
Red-Sweet 0.19%

White-11.44%
White-off-dry 4.48%
White-Sweet 3.72%
White Sparkling 0.29%

Rose -sparkling 0.19%

That reflects what I cellar, but I don't enter the "buy and drink within a month" wines, and my actual consumption is probably just very slightly more reds than whites.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:57 pm

I would say out of 10 bottles of wine that I buy, 9 are red, and 1 white. While I have had beautiful moments with white wines, earth shattering moments and epiphanies have only happened with red wines. An ideal meal always would start with a glass of refreshing and crisp white, but always moves to a red. 8)
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:32 pm

At least 80% of my cellared wines are white (not even counting the sparks). Besides the fact that I overwhelmingly prefer white wine to red, I find them more subtley complex and with a geater range of flavors. Even the red wines I keep tend to be on the subtle side of the spectrum -Burgundy, Austria, Germany, Loire. That said, I am a sucker for good Margaux.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:06 am

I love both reds and white ... with the big exception of Chardonnay. My wine storage has predominantly reds, however.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:27 am

In the past, 90% reds. For the past year, I've been 50/50.

Started with the health benefits of reds, but it appears two glasses of either color works almost as well.

Time to learn some new stuff. :)
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:03 am

Wine Update: Opened a gifted bottle of Turning Leaf Pinot Grigio last night. Obviously not the greatest example of a white, but it was decent so I will be trying more whites [including the muscadet I was talked into buying last week].
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:21 pm

My wine storage is probably 30% white and 70% red for the simple reason that more reds are neant to be aged, even short-term, than whites. I even that out by buying a lot of inexpensive whites each week to drink right away. My consumption therefore comes out to something more like 40% white and 60% red. Of course then I remember theat sparklers and roses have not been included and if youthrow them into the white side of the equation, then it may tip towards the whites. It's certainly close to 50/50. I need to drink more champagne.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:41 pm

I seem to trend towards reds, but I'm trying to increase my exposure to whites. I LOVE sauvignon blanc, especially the powerful ones from New Zealand, so they tend to be my white default - although I do also enjoy chenin blanc and have had one or two viogners that I liked as well.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:52 pm

James Roscoe wrote: I need to drink more champagne.

I have a friend who adores champagne and drinks it almost daily!

I also heard somewhere that Germans love the stuff, and consume it more than any other type of wine.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt