The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Suggestions for wine for party needed!!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Suggestions for wine for party needed!!!!

by OW Holmes » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:58 pm

Beth reaches a significant birthday in March. I'm organizing a surprise party for her. We will have the affair catered, and that's pretty much set. But here's the age old question - what wines.
The evening party will be at our neighborhood association pool in Florida, and we will have hot hor d'oeurves and cold, and perhaps some tenderloin sandwiches or something like that. Of the invited guests, only a couple are wine savvy. Most of the guests prefer Chardonnay - which I truthfully know almost nothing about except that I don't really care for oaked chardonnay and like Howie Hart's unoaked version. The red wine drinkers will want something they are familiar with, like a California Cabernet or Cab/Merlot blend - which I used to follow but not much anymore.
The twist is, I haven't the foggiest idea how many will show up (24 to 60 somewhere) so will lay in sufficient wine and want it to be good enough just in case I end up with leftovers.
I will certainly have a few bottles of Dr. L Riesling or perhaps the Dr. Thanish qba, and a few bottles of Cotes du Rhone, but need suggestions for a drinkable Chardonnay and Cal Cab for non-geeks. Price range is hopefully under $15 per bottle. Is Louis Martini Cab still as good as when it was independent?
-OW
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Suggestions for wine for party needed!!!!

by Mark Lipton » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:29 pm

OW Holmes wrote:I will certainly have a few bottles of Dr. L Riesling or perhaps the Dr. Thanish qba, and a few bottles of Cotes du Rhone, but need suggestions for a drinkable Chardonnay and Cal Cab for non-geeks. Price range is hopefully under $15 per bottle. Is Louis Martini Cab still as good as when it was independent?

OW,
How about a Chardonnay from the Maconnais? Or a white Beaujolais? They're usually quite clean and crisp, less austere than Chablis and still accessible to the average Chardonnay drinker. Another alternative is low-cost CalChard. Last year, my wife and I tasted through about 12 current-release CalChards for a friend's wedding and chose the '04 Fetzer Valley Oaks Chardonnay as a very palatable unoaked CalChard. I actually figured it for a French wine when tasting it blind. For that same friend's wedding dinner, we chose the '04 Drouhin St. Veran.
For Cabernet/Merlot, what about looking to Chile? There are various QPR choices in the under $15 range coming from there. I also remember once having a Greg Norman Cab/Merlot that was surprisingly drinkable, though I have no idea if they still are or if they're still as cheap as they once were.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:30 pm

I would be honored to help you out here, but I only have 12 bottles of the '05 left and I'm hoping to see how they age and the '06 is not near ready to bottle. Perhaps a Chablis?
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:40 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I would be honored to help you out here, but I only have 12 bottles of the '05 left and I'm hoping to see how they age and the '06 is not near ready to bottle. Perhaps a Chablis?

\
Oops, Howie. I really wasn't looking for some freebies. But as a number of people on this board know, your unoaked chardonnay is a real crowd pleaser no matter what style the drinker likes.
-OW
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:42 pm

Mark, thanks for the suggestions. I have entered them into my pda. Love the ideas for the whites. I'm not a big fan of Chilean reds - probably just haven't had the right ones yet, or recently enough. I'll try a couple - I've got time.
-OW
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:43 pm

Concur with Mr. Lipton about the Drouhin St. Veran. Ubiquitous and affordable at $12 or so before discount. When I schlepped wine, it was our biggest selling Chardonnay.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:50 pm

Agree with Mark's suggestions for a Chard. For red, my experience is that Shiraz goes best with a crowd. There are may good choices in the $10-$15 range.

Are you sure about the number of white wine drinkers? Again my experience is that the general public drinks two or three bottles of red to white.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:51 pm

For affordable reds, I might suggest "The Other Guys" (Sebastiani family off-shoot). They have a quite good Napa Valley Cab for $11 retail called "Aquinas." Varietally correct but still delicious for non-wine geeks. Their "Plungerhead" is an affordable Zinfandel blend.

For another option, Sterling's Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is pretty nice for $19 or so.

Barricas Argentine Cabernet Sauvignon is amazing for $6.00-and the Malbec is decent, too. Good flavor, and it actually tastes like Cabernet Sauvignon. Plus, the bottles are cool-looking, and you get the exotic factor of Argentina.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:35 pm

I'm no expert mind you, but here are a couple that we have enjoyed recently that I think would meet the needs of your guests.

2004 Louis Latour Pouilly Fuisse $12.99 at Costco.
2003 St. Francis Cabernet Sauvignon $15.99 at Costco.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:10 pm

OW,
On a practical rather than aesthetic note, wine and liquor stores will generally take back what you don't use. This is especially important in buying wine for 24-60+ people, especially if said wine is something you probably don't wish to drink in real life. The one caveat is that chilling, the whites in ice will mess up the labels and make them unreturnable. I would confirm with the store, before you buy the wine, that you can return unused wine in good condition.
Have a great party!
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:17 am

Can't help you with Chardonnay recommendations, because I try to avoid the stuff as much as possible. So, I propose going with an alternative white wine that is a real crowd pleaser. I suggest you try Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, which at $12 is a wonderful wine.

I tasted a most interesting and reasonably priced red blend from Australia recently. Look for Red Heads Studio Yard Dog ($11), which is made from 46% Petit Verdot, 30% Merlot and 24% Cabernet Sauvignon. Just do a search on "yard dog" + wine and you will find numerous accolades

The best inexpensive Cab I had recently came from South Africa. It was MAN Vintners Cabernet Sauvignon at $8.

I guarantee that you are also sure to enjoy these leftovers.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:34 am

Drouhin Saint-Veran is a good suggestion for the Chardonnay. Also Kim Crawford Unoaked Chardonnay may be right at your price point depending on state where purchased.

On the red side, we have enjoyed a Shiraz from Oz, St. John's Road Early Settler's Shiraz. About $12 per bottle here in Ohio and very drinkable.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:06 am

Hi OW,

I just recently had a similar party...a mix of wine geeks and non-geeks. As for food, I served several appetizers along with sushi and pizza. The wines that I bought to go with them were Columbia Crest Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Crest Merlot, BV Coastal Cabernet Sauvignon, Ravenswood Zinfandel, Freixenet Sparkling wine, Rosemount Chardonnay, and a Pinot Grigio (sorry can't remember the name). Nothing was pricey and everyone seemed happy with the selection. I had something for everyone as well...I was surprised that a lot of the non-geeky attendees requested PG rather than chardonnay. I also had loads of beer and scotch there too, so many of the non-geeky guys drank that.

Sounds like a great party...I am sure your wife is going to thrilled. Let us know what you get and how it goes!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:27 am

why no mention of pinot grigio? also, why not a couple of local selections? have you had the '04 gamay from ch. grand traverse? i think everyone would like that - i know i do.
david creighton
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:49 am

I like some of the Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc suggestions. I also think Maria's suggestion of Columbia Crest Cabernet Sauvignon is a good one. And if you can circulate among the guests and urge them to try a few sips of the Cote du Rhone they may discover a new favorite inexpensive wine.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Martini??

by RichardAtkinson » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:32 pm

Alas...sadly, Martini has gone the way of Gallo. The last few vintages we've tried have been all but undrinkable.

But for an inexpensive red? I would introduce your guests to Beaujolais. The 2005 is a dandy vintage and still inexpensive. Even the Cru's can be had in the 15.00 range.

For white...consider a Trentino-Aldige Pinot Grigio. They'll be familiar with the varietal and astounded at the difference in quality from the mass marketed stuff.

Richard
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Martini??

by OW Holmes » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:30 am

Thank you all. I just confirmed with the caterer that the date is good for them, and all is go. I have entered all suggestions into my little dell axim and will take it to my meeting with them next tuesday, and try to find something that they have (reportedly they have a fine wine selection, but we shall see) and take it from there. I will report back. Thanks for everything.
-OW