The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WSWA Cyberbuzz: Beware of the Evil Wine Producing Industry Empire!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

WSWA Cyberbuzz: Beware of the Evil Wine Producing Industry Empire!!!

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:15 pm

Politically powerful interests are trying to use the courts and state legislatures to allow alcohol to be sold to consumers over the Internet or through the mail. This is despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of Americans view alcohol as a socially sensitive product that should be regulated by local authorities and treated differently than other products.

The billion-dollar wine producing industry wants to eliminate alcohol safeguards, no matter the risks to others. They advocate a free-for-all of anonymous online, catalog and telephone transactions that will only increase the current shadow market of all forms of alcohol—beer, liquor and wine.

This was better than caffeine to wake me up on a sleepy Monday afternoon. The whole article is here: Alcohol Deregulation: A Rising Threat to Kids, Communities and Common Sense
And now what?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WSWA Cyberbuzz: Beware of the Evil Wine Producing Industry Empire!!!

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:18 pm

More mush from those lying ####heads at WSWA. Git a rope ... and torches and pitchforks, too.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:47 pm

The billion-dollar wine producing industry wants to eliminate alcohol safeguards, no matter the risks to others.

Wow. Really?

I'm a small, miniscule little cog in that billion-dollar wine producing industry, but you'd think someone would've told me that, huh? I had no idea! In fact, I figured just the opposite. Silly me.

Can I go around saying 'bwahahahahahah" all the time?

And maybe I'll let my mustache grow out long so I can twirl it when I cackle.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:08 pm

Did someone get paid to write that? Did they keep a staight face all the way through. Are you sure that isn't a piece of sarcasm? I laughed my but off. Of course if someone tells me it's serious, I'll laugh some more, the alternative is not worth contemplating.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:52 pm

I love 'politically powerful interests...', as opposed to the big wholesalers, who are weak and completely lacking in influence politically. Crikey, Brave New World is here.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:30 pm

Sheesh - that is about the most cynical thing I've read in ages. I can't believe that the authors actually believe what they've written - though there will no doubt be people in the general public who will believe it and swallow the whole shabang hook line and sinker.

There may be another way to defeat the neo-Prohibitionists: by having mega wineries combine forces and funding a counter-movement. I mean, although the wholesalers must surely be well funded, couldn't some of America's biggest wineries just join forces and ram some authentic common sense through the appropriate channels?
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:26 am

Hey, Neal Rosenthal's a lawyer, isn't he? I'll bet that he's the one stalking the corridors of power, twisting arms and extracting promises in the best tradition of Sam Rayburn. Oh, those overbearing wino lobbyists! Will they never leave us in peace?

Mark Lipton
(writing my Congressman at this very moment to protest such behavior)