The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Anyone have a Gambero Rosso lying around?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Anyone have a Gambero Rosso lying around?

by Jenise » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:24 pm

If so, and if you would be so kind, I need the verbage in their reviews for two barbarescos: the 2000 Ugo Lequio "Gallina di Nieve" and the 2001 Marziano Abbona "Faset".

Thanks!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

Re: Anyone have a Gambero Rosso lying around?

by Paulo in Philly » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:42 pm

Jenise wrote:If so, and if you would be so kind, I need the verbage in their reviews for two barbarescos: the 2000 Ugo Lequio "Gallina di Nieve" and the 2001 Marziano Abbona "Faset".

Thanks!

Jenise,

Not Gambero Rosso, but the Vino Italiano Buying Guide says of Lequio:

"A tiny producer of a smooth, aromatic, traditionally styled Barbaresco from the Gallina cru in the village of Neive. Also solid varietal wines from barbera and dolcetto."

...and of Marziano:

"Although dolcetto is a specialty-from the fragrant, light "Vigneto Munta" to the denser "Papa Celso" - the real stars are the Barolo "Terlo Riserva" (from a small holding in Cherasco) and the Barbaresco "Faset". Both are lush and approachable on release, and great values."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:26 pm

Paulo my dear, thanks, but I need their specific review of those wines in those vintages--we're serving them at a neighborhood tasting Friday night and these are the only two GR reviewed of those we're serving. And I'd rather include their reviews in lieu of the usual suspects, so....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:15 pm

Ugo Lequio Barbaresco Gallina 2000: 2 glasses. "The Barbaresco is superlative, exhibiting an intense garnet, mature on the edge, and flaunting a hedonistic melange of strawberry preserve, dried flowers and liquorice. Tha palate has richly woven texture and sustained development that concludes in a lengthy echo of the aromatic nose." This is from the GR 2004 edition.

I don't have the review for the Marziano Abbona Faset.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:40 pm

Not much use to you I suspect:
"Also good are ... the Barbaresco Faset, which has been at the top of it's category for years" (2 glasses).

I guess this highlights one of the failings of the GR, in trying to list too many wines and hence not giving a wine a tasting note of substance.

A tough job to achieve the coverage they have across Italian wines, but I do feel they have a problem when this is all you see about a wine.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:50 pm

Jay and Ian, thanks.

Yeah, Ian, that seems odd. The Lequio report really is a TN, but the other is just a...comment, I guess. Very little reporting on the latter in the states, I see mentions of it and found some TNs on other vintages or other vineyards in that vintage, but the internet has absolutely nothing available on that wine except a couple lines of purple prose from sleazy wine-by-mail outfit Geerlings & Wade.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:30 pm

Jenise, there is one TN on Cellar Tracker:

2001 Marziano Abbona Barbaresco Vigna Faset (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco)

Tasted by MrSnooty on 9/28/2006 & rated 87 points: Bright, translucent mid-red colour - almost Pinot Noir-like. Powerful nose with red fruit, a hint of tobacco and alcohol prominent. Taste is medium-to full-bodied with strong structure and yet surpisingly well-balanced tannins and acidity (almost in contrast with the "hot" smell). This wine has quite a bite to it, and would stand up well to pizza, pasta, and red meat. This has lots of potential to mellow and improve with time, but is great to drink now. (367 views)

The entry indicates that there is a Parker review of the wine, but those do not show except in Private Views of the poster -- I am not a Parker subscriber so can't help. But, a shop nearby summarizes the Parker review as follows:

The 2001 [Marziano Abbona] Barbaresco Faset, from an unjustly obscure vineyard located right next to Asili, leaves few doubts about its stature. Elegant and smoky aromas of tar, roses, and cinnamon are followed by a firm and shapely palate, a solid finish with ample notes of chocolate and licorice, and an important persistence. Drink: 2005-2017. 91 pts Robert Parker

And a Raleigh retailer has basically the same review: The Wine Advocate The 2001 [Marziano Abbona] Barbaresco Faset, from an unjustly obscure vineyard located right next to Asili, leaves few doubts about its stature. Elegant and smoky aromas of tar, roses, and cinnamon are followed by a firm and shapely palate, a solid finish with ample notes of chocolate and licorice, and an important persistence. Drink: 2005-2017. Score: 91. —Daniel Thomases, August 2005.

BTW, Batali's wine retail outlet usually has wines from this maker available, but not the 2001 Marziano Abbona Barbaresco Faset. Here's what they say about the maker and another vintage:

If you are looking for a producer that consistently offers very interesting, great value wines, then Abbona definitely fits that profile. His wines are extremely pleasing, enjoyable and consistent. He owns a total of 40 hectares in four different zones of Piedmont. Each vineyard is planted with the variety that most benefits from that particular site. Even his less important varieties get the best vineyard positioning, which is very rare. The result is one producer that makes quality wines, all with their own unique expression of the vineyards that they came from.

1997 Barbaresco “Vigna Faset”, $42.36 per bottle

Faset is one of the most prized hills in all of Barbaresco. Stylish and elegant on the palate with acidity, intensity and a very long finish. This wine has great finesse, intricate layering and a silky texture.

Hope this helps -- I don't see a review of the wine in my copies of Gambero. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:19 pm

Bob, I did check Cellar Tracker and somehow the review you showed completely eluded me. But the Parker review is the best, nicely appreciated with some detail about taste and therefore the most useful for our purposes. Thank you so much for digging that out!

The other information you offer is also helpful to me personally. I have some Faset vineyard barbaresco in my own cellar (Castello Verduno) and knew nothing about the vineyard.

Again, thank you.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:32 pm

One other idea, Jenise, Gambero has an online version at http://www.gamberorosso.it/portaleEng/Homepage/homepage

For some reason, I'm not able to use the search function, but you may find your wine there.

Regards, Bob