The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Clos but no cigar

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Clos but no cigar

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:53 am

2005 Domaine Huet Vouvray Demi-Sec Clos du Bourg - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (9/20/2020)
I am definitely a Chenin Blanc skeptic. I have had a few that amazed, but they were usually 50 year old versions. After the disaster that was 2002 Huet premox, I was not willing to take the chance on investing money in potential time bombs. Thankfully this 2005 did not suffer the fate of its 2002 brethren, and was in fact quite youthful and fresh. It had started to develop some interesting layers of complexity, and showed some aromatic/flavor nuances I was not expecting, and in fact could not even really pin down. As a drinker of German Riesling I was not at all put off by the demi-sec level of sweetness, and it actually worked very well alongside the black bean & chipotle soup I served for dinner. Left a glass or so to check on tonight. If this bottle was any indication there could be years and years of profitable development, but I don't have any more to validate that premise.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Clos but no cigar

by Rahsaan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:20 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I am definitely a Chenin Blanc skeptic.

Really?! I could let the Sauvignon Blanc aversion go, because it's in the 'second tier' of my personal preferences as well and doesn't seem to rise to the heights of riesling, chenin or chardonnay.

But this is different! Is it the flavor profile? The structural profile? I would have thought it's an easy bridge for someone like you who enjoys riesling and chardonnay. Chenin does well from dry to sweet, like riesling, but with a bit broader structure (like chardonnay).
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:50 am

Flavor profile and being burned so badly by Huet and Chidaine.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:31 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Flavor profile and being burned so badly by Huet and Chidaine.

Yes, there are some 'unique' quince/wool/gravel notes in chenin that make it distinct. I see such a through-line with riesling-chenin-chardonnay that it's hard to imagine others viewing them differently. But that's why we all have our own tastes!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:26 pm

The wool elements have never worked for me.