The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Rumblins on Wine, part 451

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Rumblins on Wine, part 451

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:45 am

A few random thoughts this morning

If I had it to do all over again, Nebbiolo would be my red wine focus area. Don't get me wrong, I love Pinot Noir, Syrah and even Cabernet Sauvignon (to name the usual suspects), but Nebbiolo fascinates me. The aromas seem more likely to be interesting, even in a younger wine. The aged versions are fascinating, just as much as an older Burgundy or a great, old Bordeaux. OK, maybe aged Petrus beats them all, but who can afford it?!

The tariffs have been a killer. A 25% jump on the price of wines is a real hit. It's not so bad for a German Kabinett that normally goes for $20, but $50 wines (e.g. Trimbach CFE) are now in the mid-$60 range, even from the best priced sources. Burgundies have already shot up in price over the last ten years, and slap a 25% surcharge, and yowza! Yet another reason to focus on Nebbiolo, as Italian wines have so far escaped the tariffs.

Drinking wine has not been an impediment to weight loss. I see lots of folks on wine boards periodically saying they cut out wine for a month (or more) to drop weight. I end up wondering what they are eating! A couple of glasses of wine is not the make or break in a daily diet. Bacon is! #lostoverfiftypoundswhilestilldrinkingwine #keepingeddiebauerinbusinessbuyingsmallerclothes

Shipping season has commenced, so cue the crazy, out of season heat spikes! It always happens. Cold chain shipping to New England may become a year-round necessity.

Anybody else craving a beer?

What wine goes with protesting?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Rumblins on Wine, part 451

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:27 am

Truth. Let's start by doing what we can on November 3. And pass me some of that Nebbiolo.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:09 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Truth. Let's start by doing what we can on November 3. And pass me some of that Nebbiolo.

What's really galling is that the tariffs were imposed as punishment for France, Spain and the UK subsidizing Airbus. Less than a year after the tariffs were imposed, COVID hit, and airplane sales all but stopped!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:14 pm

:?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:03 pm

I have never been a experienced Nebbiolo drinker but should get to it!
Please dont talk to me about pricing. Here in Alberta Canada so many taxes and such are added to a bottle of wine it is getting quite expensive to buy the good stuff. Then we have agent greed to deal with. I could go on :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:29 pm

"What wine goes with protesting?"

https://shopchateaud.vintegrate.com/protest

Never know what will pop up on WineSearcher. And, as a bonus, Halloween wines?

Whatever....
Last edited by Pat G on Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:32 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Shipping season has commenced, so cue the crazy, out of season heat spikes! It always happens. Cold chain shipping to New England may become a year-round necessity.

Yes, I don't look forward to colder weather in general, but have been awaiting shipping season. Not sure it's really 'out of season' heat spikes here, but it can take a while for the air to get reliably cool enough for me to feel comfortable shipping wine.

David M. Bueker wrote:Anybody else craving a beer?

Sure! Comes and goes. Perhaps more in the summer. But so much delicious stuff to drink in this world...
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:39 pm

Could not agree more about having a beer Rahsaan. We have some terrific craft beer makers here in Alberta.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:59 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Could not agree more about having a beer Rahsaan. We have some terrific craft beer makers here in Alberta.

Some lovely craft beer and spirits in Canmore!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:57 pm

I think for many the problem with drinking wine is that when we drink we eat more. Or at least it's true for me that one chases the ther. Too, I believe it depends a lot on what the carb load is in the rest of what someone's eating. High protein, low carb, no problem. But if you're managing your diet by calories alone wherein fat and sugars are equally threatening, and wine can be an issue. Change nothing else in your normal routine but give up wine, and it will make a difference for most. Or so has been my experience.

Bob and I decided to try some wine last night with a dinner of miso-soaked black cod. A young Washington chardonnay was opened, our third bottle of same, and Bob tasted it first. "Something's dreadfully wrong with this wine," he said, "taste it." I did. WHOA. The finish was ridiculously bitter, like raw artichoke-bitter. We went without, then after dinner Bob said let's try a red wine. Okay, so I produced a five year old pinot from the Gorge.

And it was identically bitter. So the problem is us, not the wine. We haven't had any alcohol in weeks in aid of prepping me for some pretty serious sinus surgery nine days ago. Had Bob not been equally and independently affected, I'd have blamed my own response on my meds. But weird, it's both of us. We went ahead and drank the pinot. It smelled great, and actually being able to smell a bit again is for me heaven all by itself. For Bob the bitter notes dissipated, for me they didn't.

Freaky.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:03 pm

Hopefully things get back to normal soon.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

by Pat G » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:44 pm

Jenise, +1 on your recovery. It is quite possible that things will gradually improve....

On Nebbiolo vs. PN, etc. I thought about this; Neb & PN are tied for first as my favorite grapes. My cellar has far more PN than Neb, but the Nebs are Barolo only and were frugal finds for the 2010 & 2011 vintages. Our LWS had a 2010 Barolo under $30 and our previous experience with that vintner has been good, so ended up buying several over a few trips. Dear Husband and I consider Barolo to be our ultimate treat wine. For me, one of the reasons I haven't much ventured into France is that I find so much value in Italy. And in my experience, Italians are likely to put just as much love into their inexpensive juice as in the $$$$. May be biased, but it's my cellar.

Of course, any thoughts on frugal French reds always welcome.

I haven't found any Cal/Ital Nebs that compare. Those are interesting, but no comparison.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:42 pm

Well you are not going to find California Nebbiolo for $30. There are a couple of good ones, but they go for the CA typical $50.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

by Pat G » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:02 pm

https://www.palminawines.com/

Some options <$50 but of course when taxes & shipping added, your mileage will vary. Current Nebs range from $36 to $80. More than I would spend. :)

Tasted a sparkling Neb at this winery in 2017. At that time priced about $40. They do have some options under $50. I bought a Dolcetto, a Barbera, and a Rosato of Sangiovese, Barbera & Dolcetto.

Lompoc Wine Ghetto.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:37 pm

Jenise wrote:I think for many the problem with drinking wine is that when we drink we eat more.

One of ethanol's first effects on the brain is to suppress inhibition. If you're dieting it can reduce your ability to resist snacking. Ethanol itself is also caloric. Furthermore, if the body can't burn it immediately it can't convert it to glucose or protein, only to fat. So ethanol is the epitome of "empty calories".

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:43 pm

Pat G wrote:https://www.palminawines.com/

Some options <$50 but of course when taxes & shipping added, your mileage will vary. Current Nebs range from $36 to $80. More than I would spend. :)

Tasted a sparkling Neb at this winery in 2017. At that time priced about $40. They do have some options under $50. I bought a Dolcetto, a Barbera, and a Rosato of Sangiovese, Barbera & Dolcetto.

Lompoc Wine Ghetto.

My mileage does vary...a lot.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:43 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:
Jenise wrote:I think for many the problem with drinking wine is that when we drink we eat more.

One of ethanol's first effects on the brain is to suppress inhibition. If you're dieting it can reduce your ability to resist snacking. Ethanol itself is also caloric. Furthermore, if the body can't burn it immediately it can't convert it to glucose or protein, only to fat. So ethanol is the epitome of "empty calories".

-Paul W.

Snacking really isn't the issue (there's never anything around here to snack on that's not healthy food anyway) so much as just feeling hungrier and eating larger portions.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:33 pm

Portion control has been the key factor in our household combined weight loss of 110 lbs. to date.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:46 pm

I've lost over 70 pounds from my peak weight (albeit over about seven years--20 pounds during 2019 and twelve pounds so far in 2020) and haven't found drinking wine to be a problem in losing weight. I usually have two glasses an evening or about 8 to 10 ounces of wine but go several days at a time with no alcohol. I still have more than 40 pounds to lose to reach my goal weight and figure it could take me two to three more years.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:57 pm

JC (NC) wrote:I've lost over 70 pounds from my peak weight (albeit over about seven years--20 pounds during 2019 and twelve pounds so far in 2020) and haven't found drinking wine to be a problem in losing weight. I usually have two glasses an evening or about 8 to 10 ounces of wine but go several days at a time with no alcohol. I still have more than 40 pounds to lose to reach my goal weight and figure it could take me two to three more years.

That's great progress JC!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:33 am

JC--congratulations!
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:27 pm

JC (NC) wrote:I've lost over 70 pounds from my peak weight (albeit over about seven years--20 pounds during 2019 and twelve pounds so far in 2020) and haven't found drinking wine to be a problem in losing weight. I usually have two glasses an evening or about 8 to 10 ounces of wine but go several days at a time with no alcohol. I still have more than 40 pounds to lose to reach my goal weight and figure it could take me two to three more years.

That's great. I've lost almost 50 pounds this year, since my doctor switched my diabetes medicine. The one I'm on now has a side effect of suppressing appetite, so I've taken full advantage of it. Since I'm not very hungry, I skip breakfast and lunch, have a light, low carb snack mid afternoon, and then a regular sized-dinner. Dinner includes splitting a bottle of wine with Linda most nights, and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Unfortunately, some of that loss is muscle, and I can't go to the gym right now.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:11 pm

I applaud your weight loss Ted but isn't it risky for a diabetic to skip meals? I'm diabetic Type 2 and usually experience low blood sugar if I wait too long into the day before eating.
no avatar
User

Dara T

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:54 am

by Dara T » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:33 pm

ITALIAN VS FRENCH PRICES: I have started shying away from Italian wine because I find I can usually get a comparable wine from France or Spain for less money. Of course, having lived in France, I know French wines much better, so I don't know of as many Italian bargains. There are many examples, but think of sparkling wine: French Cre'ment starts at $20, but Franciacorta starts at $30, and it is no better than Cre'ment d'Alsace. Then that awful Charmat-method Prosecco costs as much as Cre'ment or Cava. Barolo and Amarone are over-priced. I get an little-known Crozes Hermitage (Habrard) for about $35 that runs rings around $50-80 Italians in complexity. ... Just my two cents.

TARIFF PRICES: I have not noticed an increase in prices since the tariffs. I live in Ohio and buy locally, and from several online places. I spent my stimulus check (plus quite a bit more) on two wines. They were the prices that I have been paying for the last two years. Locally, I have not noticed an increase, either. I know the increase must be coming, but I think distributers have been eating much of it, so far.
I love Graves!