The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: One more from Portugal - or from whereever?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: One more from Portugal - or from whereever?

by Saina » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:23 pm

Quinta do Romeira Morgado de Santa Catarina Bucelas 2004

Bucelas (minimum of 75% Arinto, with the rest made up of Esgana Cão and Rabo de Ovelha) is a wine I've long wanted to try. Alongside Colares and Carcavelos it is the third of the once famous terroirs that is now under threat from an expanding Lisbon.

In the 1970's there was only one producer making wine in Bucelas. But it hasn't always been in such a sorry state. Shakespeare mentions it in Henry VI but uses the name Charneco (from the village of Charneca close to where the wines are grown); Wellington made it popular in England (as he did with Carcavelos), where it became known as Portuguese Hock. Though it doesn't seem to be a household name today, it's prospects are brighter as apparently the area under vine has increased and investments are being put in.

I was very excited to taste this wine. But unfortunately I was sorely disappointed. This smelled of French oak and tasted of it also. Sure it seemed to retain great levels of acidity despite being from a very hot climate. I really hope that this particular wine is just a freak - it would be a shame if revitalising the region means making wine in a style that can be and is made everywhere.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: One more from Portugal - or from whereever?

by Saina » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:20 pm

Oh happy day! I got a small 5cl taste of another Bucelas today! :)

TN: Caves Velhas Bucelas Garrafeira 1998 11,5% 5,20€

As can be guessed from the price (which includes taxes for importing it to Finland + postage!!!), it isn't a grand vin, but it is a thoroughly enjoyable one. The colour is rather dark and looks old. The nose is fresh and pleasantly green, a little woolly, nutty - mature and very lovable and personal. I guess the woolly notes might be a bit too personal for some. The palate was tart and acidic but had enough fruit for me. Very refreshing and enjoyable.

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.