The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Haut-Brion '71-'98, '77 Port, Cristal, Taittinger Comtes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Haut-Brion '71-'98, '77 Port, Cristal, Taittinger Comtes

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:10 am

Last night SOBER (Several Oenophiles Being Extremely Rambunctious) met at Cathleen's house. Cathleen and her husband Steve did a fantastic job of hosting, while we went through a vertical of Haut-Brion.

Forecast was for snow, so we were eager to get started. Tim and I arrived a little early; while we waited for the others Cathleen offered us a couple of Champagnes:

1993 Roederer Cristal
A bit heavy and pondersome, slight oxidative notes and surprisingly short for a tete de cuvee. This isn't my style of Champagne (I prefer the lighter styles), but even allowing for my tastes I felt this was a less than thrilling bottle (I'm not a Krug fan, but can see what others see). Someone calls this "coarse", and I agree. C+

1993 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne
Ah, this is more like it (stylistically and qualitively). Lovely, with fresh dough aromas over a solid body of citrus and apple fruit. Plenty of body, yet very light on its feet. Elegant and long, great Champagne. A-/A

We munched on delicious onion tarts, a salmon spread, and nuts as the first round of Haut-Brion made its round. My grading had to get tightened up for this evening, as almost everything would have been in A-/A range on my normal scale.

1998 Ch. Haut-Brion (Pessac-Leognan)
Really young, but herby and rich. Good acidity, firm tannins. Others found it very closed, I thought fairly open at first, though it seemed to tighten. A B+ for now, but with loads of potential.

1996 Ch. Haut-Brion (Pessac-Leognan)
Now this one was tight (much more than one at Mark's a few months back, which maybe was decanted more). Not a lot of fruit poking through, I mostly got impressions of oak and tannins, but sure this will emerge beautifully. B for tonight

1995 Ch. Haut-Brion (Pessac-Leognan)
Very open in comparison to its flightmates, rich dark fruit with an herby/minty note. With a little time in glass a real cornucopia of aromas emerge- meat, mineral, and cigarbox dominate. Very good length, apparent but fine tannins, lovely. My surprise #2 of the night. A-

We moved onto a lovely cauliflower soup with proscuitto, and

1994 Ch. Haut-Brion (Pessac-Leognan)
Quite good. Nice fruit, some uncured tobacco and cedar aromas. Excellent for the vintage, I really liked, but it was totally overshadowed by its flightmate. B+/B

1990 Ch. Haut-Brion (Pessac-Leognan)

And what a flightmate. Rich, rich, rich. Big, ripe, open, and complex. Red and black currant fruit, with enough tobacco and cedar aromas to challenge a nice humidor. A later pour was maybe even better, deep fruit mixed with freshly turned earth. WOTN for me and for group. Solid A

A lovely leg of lamb arrived, along with green beans and an excellent mushroom risotto

1985 Ch. Haut-Brion (Graves)
Red and lush, texturally this reminded me of a Pomerol. Very minerally, more uncured tobacco leaf, I like. My #3 of evening A-/B+

1982 Ch. Haut-Brion (Graves)
Blacker fruit than some other, rather muscular and meaty. Still young for my tastes. My #4. A-/B+

An amazing array of cheeses

1978 Ch. Haut-Brion (Graves)
Most controversial wine of the night. Several felt it was slightly corked. I'm not the most TCA-sensitive in the world, but usually get it if others point out- I don't this time. There is a funny green must on the nose,but its not mildewy, and the palate shows plenty of fruit and length- nothing clipped as I expect from a corked wine. Some cigar and mineral. I didn't think the fruit was a lush/deep as my favored vintages, but didn't think this a flawed wine. B

1975 Ch. Haut-Brion (Graves)
This was showing that '75 hardness, a nice blend of dark fruit, earth, and smoke. But there is a little hint of green, and I thought the tannins a half-step ahead of the fruit. B

1971 Ch. Haut-Brion (Graves)
Soft and mature, I felt this was really good but maybe not quite as fresh/young as a bottle Mark had opened a few months ago. Lots of earth, leather, good finish. B+/A-

On a 4/3/2/1 vote, group favorites were:
1990 21 pts
82 13 pts
85 12 pt
71 8 pts
I liked the '95 far more than others, but the general level was so high it's just quibbling to argue. Not a wine I wouldn't have been happy to serveat my table.

Oh yes, there was also a bottle of the 1977 Taylor-Fladgate Vintage Port.
Great combo with the blue cheese, but I think my palate was shot overall by this point. Nice dark fruit, some dried fig and date, a bit of spice, but I found just too hot for me. Others (far more knowledgable about Port) declared it great, but I was driving and most of my pour went into dump bucket. B/B+

Really great night- the people, the food, the wine. Thanks to Cathleen for organizing and hosting, Steve for cooking/hosting, and Mark and John for helping source.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Re: WTN: Haut-Brion '71-'98, '77 Port, Cristal, Taittinger Comtes

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:19 pm

Just as a point of information, Cathleen had contacted the chateau for decanting advice. They had said 2 hours for the post-85s, 1 hour for the older ones. We might have stretched that a bit, 2-3 for younger and 1-2 for older.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Haut-Brion '71-'98, '77 Port, Cristal, Taittinger C

by Saina » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:31 pm

I haven't been spending as much time on wine boards as I should recently so this passed me by before. I love Haut-Brion. If it were cheaper (or if I were richer) it would be the only 1st growth I would buy regularily.

When you say about the 85 that it reminds you of Pomerol, what Ch did you have in mind? I have on a couple blind tastings mistaken VCC for HB - they can be surprisingly similar.

Thanks for the notes.

-O-(p.s. Apart from Fonseca, I haven't been terribly impressed with '77 Ports either! I have a feeling it was horribly overhyped.)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:45 pm

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but a quick offtopic question. 93 L'Evangile--had it? Would you risk it at $43?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

'77 Port

by Anders Källberg » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:57 pm

Dale,
I opened a '77 Taylor's for Christmas and must agree with you (and Otto) that it was far from great. A decent and mature Vintage Port, but lacking in charm, depth and aromaticity.
Cheers, Anders
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

Re: '77 Port

by Saina » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:56 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:Dale,
I opened a '77 Taylor's for Christmas and must agree with you (and Otto) that it was far from great. A decent and mature Vintage Port, but lacking in charm, depth and aromaticity.
Cheers, Anders

Side tracking a bit. I have one bottle of the Graham's 1977, which is perhaps the most debated wine of all in the vintage. Some say it is shite: thin and weedy. Others say that it needs a very long decanting for the alcohol to settle and then it's very nice indeed. Anyone here have recent experiences with it? I'm thinking that at age 30 I would like to open it.

-O-
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:01 pm

Otto, you are nowhere near 30...GA and open it. :)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:22 pm

Otto,

No particular Pomerol in mind, just the idea of that textural lushness. Actually VCC (though a favorite of mine) often isn't very Pomerolian for my tastes.

Jenise,
I had the '93 L'Evangile about 6-7 years ago, thought it a fine restaurant Pomerol. Fatter, low-acid style. I'd be a little hesitant now, but undr $50 is a decent price.

Anders and Otto,
while I wasn't thrilled with the Taylors, I admit to palate fatigue, and to not being a real Port fan to start with. Two others there with far far far more Port experience both thought it quite grand.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:21 am

Great reply, Bob! :lol: (You were faster than I was...)
/A
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:00 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Otto, you are nowhere near 30...GA and open it. :)

Ha ha! :)

Dale, I think you're right about VCC not being particularily Pomerolly. What I meant was that it can seem a bit Gravesey at times and hence my confusion in blind and half-blind tastings.

As a side note: doesn't anyone else in Pomerol that VCC make the less plump and plummy, more stern type of wine? I'm sure that VCC can't be the only one?

-O-
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:20 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:As a side note: doesn't anyone else in Pomerol that VCC make the less plump and plummy, more stern type of wine? I'm sure that VCC can't be the only one?
-

Well, first off I don't think any other major Pomerol property has near as much CS as VCC. Certan de May does have a lot of Cab Franc, and is probably "sterner" than most (though I think I heard Rolland just started there?). Maybe Petit Village.

That being said, while I drink less Pomerol than virtually any other Bdx appellation, when I do reach for one I am probably hoping for plump, plummy, and lush. If I want Pauillac or St Estephe, I'll open one!