The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What wine goes with artichokes?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

What wine goes with artichokes?

by Bob Ross » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:26 pm

Steamed, butter sauce on the side.

Thanks.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: What wine goes with artichokes?

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:59 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Steamed, butter sauce on the side.

Bob, the conventional wisdom holds that artichokes war with wine, but I'm not sure I buy it. Artichokes do make accompanying foods seem sweeter, though, so I'd address that with a relatively acidic white, or play to a flavor match with a grassy Sauvignon Blanc. Maybe play to both characteristics with a grassy and acidic Sauvignon Blanc like a Sancerre.

The butter sauce might welcome a Chardonnay, too, if you can choose one that's both lush and well-structured.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:27 pm

Curiously, Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay were my first two choices as well. I think they'd work.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Bob, the conventional wisdom holds that artichokes war with wine, but I'm not sure I buy it. Artichokes do make accompanying foods seem sweeter, though, so I'd address that with a relatively acidic white, or play to a flavor match with a grassy Sauvignon Blanc. Maybe play to both characteristics with a grassy and acidic Sauvignon Blanc like a Sancerre.

I've heard the same said for asparagus (the grassy Sauvignon Blanc).
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:54 pm

Yep. I go with grassy SB too.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:03 pm

I know this is going to sound horrible...but I've always paired them with White Zinfandel...it's the ONLY time I drink it. It does fine with the articoke since it's a simple sweeter wine. I am sure any slightly sweet rose would do as well.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:19 pm

Bob; Kermit Lynch suggested, some years back, that Bandol rose was the one wine that worked with artichokes. I've found Southern French rose a really nice choice nine times out of ten.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:19 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Steamed, butter sauce on the side.

Thanks.

I LOVE artichokes! What else will you have tonight in addition to the artichokes? That would also help me determine what to have with it. Any protein?

Tonight I am making a "free for all" whole wheat couscous dish with artichokes, chopped/sauteed chicken breast, chopped yellow peppers, chopped tomatoes, broccoli, chopped red onions and garlic, and some black olive tapenade. Gonna have it with a glass of intense Morellino di Scansano Val delle Rose 2003! Ha!!!!
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:19 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Bob; Kermit Lynch suggested, some years back, that Bandol rose was the one wine that worked with artichokes. I've found Southern French rose a really nice choice nine times out of ten.

I'll have to try that someday.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:49 pm

When in doubt for white wine/food matches, go with Gruner Veltiner. It's bailed me out more times than a bondsman on St. Patricks day :D !

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:54 pm

Paulo, we had planned to go to Serenade in Chatham, a very romantic French joint. But the roads are icy and it's a 35 mile drive, one way. Good roads, but ...

In any event, two of Janet's favorite dishes, a Jenise/Batali meatloaf and steamed artichokes -- the Market Basket had some beauties.

In case you haven't seen it, here's Jenise's original post from two and a half years ago. Highly recommended:

Topic: RC: The best meat loaf I\'ve ever eaten, bar none
Author: Jenise
Date: 20041101172914
Yep--not just made myself, but eaten. I\'ve never had a meat loaf as good: the leanest ground beef, sausage, fresh bread crumbs and grated mozzarella seasoned with veritable handfuls of sun-dried tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil and wine.

This was adapted from a recipe by Mario Batali\'s father Armandino, himself a restauranteur in Seattle. My version reduces the quantity and the fat and makes some minor tweaks that, with all due respect, made a great thing even better.

1 - 1.25 lb extra lean ground beef
3 sweet Italian sausage, casings removed, crumbled
1 cup grated mozzarella (kind of packed, don\'t skimp!)
3 tblsp dried basil (generous)
1 tblsp dried oregano (generous)
1 medium brown or white onion, finely diced and sweated in 1 tblsp butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1.5 cups fresh breadcrumbs
3/4 c. finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1 c. V-8, divided
2 eggs
1/2 c. dry white wine

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a small saucepan melt the butter and soften the onions. Gently combine all but the last three ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Separately, mix half the V-8 with the eggs and wine, then fold into the meat mixture. Form a loaf (I recommend using a foil-lined cookie sheet), then rub the remaining V-8 over the loaf. Then sprinkle a little extra salt, pepper and oregano on top to give the crust an even more intense flavor.

Pop into your hot oven and bake for one hour. Turn oven off and open door slightly to let the loaf rest before slicing, about 15 minutes.

If you\'re used to meat loaf having a gravy and are concerned that this one will be dry without same, worry not. This meatloaf is so moist it oozes, and a sauce would IMO be gratuitous. I served ours over a puddle of soft, steamed zucchini.

Oh, and it\'s fantastic cold--guess what I just ate a slice of for breakfast?

Makes about six servings.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:04 pm

If it is influenced by Batali, it must be delicious! A great thing to have with tonight's weather! I think I would personally pair a red wine with your dinner. Does not the butter make the artichoke a little more "pairing-able" (just made up a word!) with wine?

I am having no problem enjoying my couscous extravaganza with the artichokes and the Morellino di Scansano tonight!

Have a wonderful dinner!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:08 pm

Paulo, I'm going to try Steve Edmund's suggestion tonight. We have three very nice Bandol rosés to choose from.

The other suggestions sounded good too -- but knowing Janet's love for artichokes, I know I'll have many opportunities to try them in the future.

Rosé seems very romantic somehow -- it will bring back some great memories from our trip to Bandol. And the meatloaf smells delicious. :)
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:16 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Paulo, I'm going to try Steve Edmund's suggestion tonight. We have three very nice Bandol rosés to choose from.

The other suggestions sounded good too -- but knowing Janet's love for artichokes, I know I'll have many opportunities to try them in the future.

Rosé seems very romantic somehow -- it will bring back some great memories from our trip to Bandol. And the meatloaf smells delicious. :)

Sounds wonderful,. Bob! I look forward to hearing about it! Buon appetito!!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:58 pm

Bob,

I go the opposite direction from Robin on this. Artichokes are one of the few foods that reward the woodiness of a well-oaked wine. Chardonnay works, and because of the oak even a well-oaked pinot works. I also like sauvignon blancs, but again would reach for a more oaked one if that option were available.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:38 am

conventional wisdom, of course, would be an oakey buttery chardonnay or a grassy sauvignon blanc, on the same flavor theory. But I'd go the opposites-attract route. A nice acidic semi dry riesling, which I think would offset and enhance the flavor of the artichoke in butter sauce. A simple one, like an L or a Thanish qba. Or in my corner of the wine universe, a northern michigan semi-dry riesling from the Traverse City area.
-OW
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:32 am

Celebrating Valentines Day tonight, Cornelia and I dined at Cafe Rouge in Berkeley, and one of the courses was fried oysters with spicy remoulade and artichokes. I'd brought the 2006 rose from Gamay we just bottled yesterday (under screwcap!!!!) and it was a GREAT match...
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:39 am

Steve Edmunds wrote:I dined...in Berkeley, and one of the courses was fried oysters with spicy remoulade and artichokes.

So you guys have already started spring vegetables out there! Lucky bastards..

We're still deep into root vegetables and apples/pears in London, but hey, that's why they invented the concept of "sauce" :lol:

Glad to hear the 06 rose was tasty..
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:29 am

So how did it go Bob?

On a side note - have you been to Serenade before? My husband and I haven't been yet, but it's only 10 min from us. I have heard really good things about it. We usually go to Pierre's in Morristown...and it is really fantastic French, with a wonderful wine bar.

Hope you had a great dinner!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:34 am

We haven't been to Serenade Maria -- read wonderful reviews and the pictures of the restaurant on its website are splendid. We went to Pierre's a year or so ago and found it just great.

The meal turned out splendidly. I deglazed with a cup of Pichler Riesling Smaragd von den Terrassen 2001 -- a dry Riesling -- and we though it was a pretty good match with an excellent steamed artichoke. I'm not sure where the Market Basket got them at this time of year, but they were really excellent.

There was only enough Riesling for a taste with the artichoke, but a 2005 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rosé was a brilliant match -- thank you Steve for sharing that idea.

The meatloaf (inspired by Jenise's recipe) turned out very well, and the Rosé went well with the main course accompanied by a small mixed green salad, and a side of steamed green beans.

My customer said: "A perfect Valentine's dinner, Bob." :)

It wasn't Serenade, but it was awfully good.

Regards, and thanks everyone for all the ideas on matching wine and artichokes. We'll try them all over the next few days, and revert.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:48 am

Incidentally, Maria, if you guys are interested in trying Serenade, sign up for their newsletter. The acknowledgment/confirmation email reads:

"Receive Two Complimentary glasses of champagne!

Present this certificate at Restaurant Serenade
to receive your exclusive eClub discount."

You have to present it within 30 days of receiving the email.

Regards, Bob
Last edited by Bob Ross on Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:21 pm

WOW...thanks Bob...will do!
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:30 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:When in doubt for white wine/food matches, go with Gruner Veltiner. It's bailed me out more times than a bondsman on St. Patricks day :D !

Prost!
Bill

I thought gruner veltliner was famous for being the only white wine that stands up to artichokes.

I guess I was wrong.

But it should be! :D
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:03 pm

Thanks Bob Ross, Jenise and Batali for the meatloaf recipe. I will try out that and Betsy's lamb recipe sometime in the next couple months. I love artichokes too (and usually have water with that course or Sauvignon Blanc) and Paolo's dish also sounds delicious. I lived for six years near the "Artichoke Capital" of USA (Castroville, CA), also near the "Garlic Capital" (Gilroy, CA) the "Strawberry Capital" (Watsonville, CA) and the "Broccoli Capital" (Greenfield? CA). Fried artichoke hearts, fried zucchini, etc. were fair county fair fare (how's that for a phrase?)