The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Oh my ... Burgundy lives up to the hype

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ben E.

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:31 pm

Oh my ... Burgundy lives up to the hype

by Ben E. » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:52 pm

Hello all! I used to be around the old board now and then, but I've been busy with school and stuff so I haven't been around for awhile.

Anyway, I got a job, and it was time to celebrate. So I go down to the cellar (basement closet) and pull out the 2002 1st Cru Volnay that I've been saving for this very moment. Hands down, the absolute best bottle of wine I've ever tasted.

I'm sure there's nothing worse than popping open a bottle from the cellar and being disappointed, but it sure is rewarding when you taste a wine and know that it was worth the wait. Wow, that bottle was awesome.

Now I'm officially a believer.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: Oh my ... Burgundy lives up to the hype

by TomHill » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:05 pm

Ben E. wrote:Now I'm officially a believer.

Yup....Burgundy CAN be magically...bring $$$'s...lottsa them!! :-)

Glad to have you back in this little corner of CyberSpace, Ben.

Tom
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:31 pm

You were lucky this time. Maybe you'll be lucky next time. But sooner or later, you'll be unlucky. That's life with Burgundy.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Kissing Frogs...

by TomHill » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:37 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:You were lucky this time. Maybe you'll be lucky next time. But sooner or later, you'll be unlucky. That's life with Burgundy.

Yup...that, too. Seems in Burgundy you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince...a lot of expensive frogs at that.
Tom
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Kissing Frogs...

by JC (NC) » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:49 pm

Ben,
Do you have the name of the negociant or estate? A Volnay 1er Cru from whom?
no avatar
User

Ben E.

Rank

Cellar rat

by Ben E. » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:08 pm

It was Santenots, 1er Cru, Domaine Vincent Sauvestre. It's my 1st 1er Cru, so it may not be as good as I'm making it out to be, but it was definitely better than any other Pinot I've tasted.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:11 pm

Yep--I've had 4 frogs in a roll; I went with a zin tonight. But I'll be buying more burgs this weekend. It is one strange disease.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:41 pm

If I ever run into the guy who started Burgundy I'm going to beat him up.

PS: I have a half case of 2002 d' Angerville Volnay that I plan to let age for couple more years before tasting.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Ben E.

Rank

Cellar rat

by Ben E. » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:55 pm

If it's like the bottle I had, a couple more years certainly wouldn't hurt. Mine was more fruity than earthy, but not jammy by any means. Very smooth, lots of flavor, great color and body. My very inexperienced opinion is we opened ours about the right time for us, but a more refined palate would probably prefer a few more years.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:25 am

Good one, Ben and welcome to the BLPG*!

*BLPG = Burgundy Lover's Pauper Guild :wink: :lol:
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:05 pm

Uh, oh. Now you're hooked. :D

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:34 am

I have good news. Peter Weygandt, a fine importer and actual nice guy, has brought in a bargain-basement Bourgogne that may be worth seeking out: Domaine Chevillon-Chezeaux Bourgogne 2004. No village, no special designation of any sort. Just plain-jane wine. But real burgundy, with the red and black cherry aromas and flavors we all love, and just a hint of Burgundian funk. But that's not the good news. The good news is it's on the shelf for $17. I've opened two bottles so far, and they've both been fine.

Obviously, this is not knock-your-socks off stuff. But as far as I can tell, it hasn't been adulterated in any way--no chaptalization, no dollop of syrah to darken it.

Besides, if I drink enough of this, I'll have saved enough to buy this Michel Gay Aloxe-Corton '04 I've got my eye on... :D
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:55 am

Dave Erickson wrote:....But as far as I can tell, it hasn't been adulterated in any way--no chaptalization, no dollop of syrah to darken it....
I think it would be difficult to tell if chaptalization was used, and its not necessarily a bad thing. Adding sugar to raise the brix level in the juice from 20 to 23 would increase the potential alcohol from 11 to about 12.5, which for some wines would be an improvement.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:44 pm

Besides, if I drink enough of this, I'll have saved enough to buy this Michel Gay Aloxe-Corton '04 I've got my eye on...

Dave,

I came across a 2004 Domaine Didier Meuneveaux Aloxe-Corton at the local wine shop the other day. To my amazement they were asking $260 per bottle! You cannot buy a Burgundy, of any classification, for less than $30 locally. It seems to be getting way out of hand.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:09 pm

Sam Platt wrote:
Besides, if I drink enough of this, I'll have saved enough to buy this Michel Gay Aloxe-Corton '04 I've got my eye on...

Dave,

I came across a 2004 Domaine Didier Meuneveaux Aloxe-Corton at the local wine shop the other day. To my amazement they were asking $260 per bottle! You cannot buy a Burgundy, of any classification, for less than $30 locally. It seems to be getting way out of hand.

This is why the Burgundy section of my cellar is shrinking while every other area is growing. I don't like the wines any less, just can't afford them any more. $50 doesn't get you as much as it used to. Last week I was thrilled to find a bottle of 2000 D'Angerville Clos de Ducs on the clearance shelf at Marty's in Newton for $50. Pushed my thumb on the cork and sank it about 1/3 of an inch in.

I almost exclusively buy Burgundy from the bargain bins and clearance e-mail sales theses days. Of course, in these cases you have contend with things like the above. Sad.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:27 pm

Joe Perry wrote:Last week I was thrilled to find a bottle of 2000 D'Angerville Clos de Ducs on the clearance shelf at Marty's in Newton for $50.

Joe,

The loose cork is a real shame. D'Angerville CdD is one of my favorite wines. I considered the half case of the '02 that I picked up last year at $80 per bottle to be a comparative steal. To date in '07 I've purchased one bottle of Burg, and that was a way expensive impulse buy just before the Super Bowl party. My Burgundy collection is half of what it was two years ago.
Sam

no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:34 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:....But as far as I can tell, it hasn't been adulterated in any way--no chaptalization, no dollop of syrah to darken it....
I think it would be difficult to tell if chaptalization was used, and its not necessarily a bad thing. Adding sugar to raise the brix level in the juice from 20 to 23 would increase the potential alcohol from 11 to about 12.5, which for some wines would be an improvement.

The Chevillon-Chezeaux weighs in at a nice 12%, so who knows? Anyway, I'm just yanking the chain of all those guys in Beaune who say they never, never chaptalize, yet somehow all these 25 kg bags of sugar get sold at the E. LeClerc store anyway...must be for baking cookies... :D