The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Zonnebloem's 2005 Pinotage launched with a "new look"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Zonnebloem's 2005 Pinotage launched with a "new look"

by Paul B. » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:01 am

Zonnebloem's Pinotage, which is significant for me in that it was the very first Pinotage I ever tried back in 1998 and which turned me onto the grape, has apparently been re-launched with a new look, though at first glance the label sure looks the same as the classic Zonnebloem one to me. The information was published today in the South African WineNews (link here).

Going to the winery webpage on the wine (link here) the label also appears to be the same traditional one. Personally you might say I have a sentimental connection to the old one, so even if the new one has only slightly been changed, that's just fine with me.

I've posted on the Zonnoebloem Pinotage for years now and I never fail to buy it when I see it at the LCBO. Zonnebloem was available for years at a price of about $12.95 and I always said that it drank like a wine that could have sold for closer to $20 - it was never a dark, inky Pinotage, but it was always highly structured, firm on the palate and consistently, reliably tannic. The oak was also of an elegant sort and never confected (i.e. coconutty/vanilla/confectionary-sugar). The back label always stated that the wine could be laid down for 10-15 years, and I think that a decade would be no problem at all for it.

In short, it's one of the best value Pinotages out there in my opinion, and it's one of my long-standing go-to wines.

I've always wondered how availale Zonnebloem is in the U.K. and whether many U.S. importers stock it.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Zonnebloem's 2005 Pinotage launched with a "new look"

by Peter May » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:00 pm

A very subtle change, unnoticeable by almost everyone I would think, but an excuse for a PR firm to get some publicity.

I had a 2004 ZB on Sunday night, it was very nice.