The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Cargasacchi Pinot Noir (Cargasacchi Vineyard)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 2005 Cargasacchi Pinot Noir (Cargasacchi Vineyard)

by Jason Hagen » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:01 pm

2005 Cargasacchi Pinot Noir Cargasacchi Vineyard
Curiosity killed the Pinot here. Had my bottles sitting there and thought these will probably need a few years…but I had know what type of wine this was. Opened and poured a glass. Immediately I could smell the earth, bramble and toast. Expressive nose. Broad across the palate and then hit of tart acids. Finish totally clipped and slightly bitter. I poured my wife a glass and then corked the bottle for the next day. As the evening went on and we had dinner the palate began to smooth out. For the second day the tart acids had added some sweetness (but not cloying) and more complexity had developed. This will be a nice contrast to my Siduris, Lorings and Brewer-Cliftons. Of those this wine may be the prettiest. It has it its own place. But this wine is crying for sleep. If you are acid adverse this may not be for you, at least certainly not right now. I’ll probably pop another one in 18 months to check the progress but I would suspect this won’t hit its stride until 2010.

Jason

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2005 Cargasacchi Pinot Noir (Cargasacchi Vineyard)

by Jenise » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:18 pm

Considering what happens to Cargasacchi fruit at Siduri (the only Cargasacchi I've had), this is not the TN I'd have expected.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Jenise wrote:Considering what happens to Cargasacchi fruit at Siduri (the only Cargasacchi I've had), this is not the TN I'd have expected.

This is very different from the Siduri. It may be in part do to the vintage but I think Peter is leaning toward more of a food wine than the Siduri. I just like the vineyard and am glad everyone is not treating it the same.
Jason
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:03 pm

hmmmm.. . I have a bottle of Cargasacchi with a label that looks very much like this one (if my memory serves, which it may not)...but I thought it was Point Concepcion, which is another Cargasacchi wine.... are the labels that similar???
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:55 pm

James Dietz wrote:hmmmm.. . I have a bottle of Cargasacchi with a label that looks very much like this one (if my memory serves, which it may not)...but I thought it was Point Concepcion, which is another Cargasacchi wine.... are the labels that similar???

I haven't seen the new Point Concepcion labels but they used to be different. They had like a sword fish on them or something.

Jason