The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Amarone Classico question......

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

Amarone Classico question......

by Paulo in Philly » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:04 pm

Tonight I opened one of my birthday gifts, a 2003 Corte Antica Amarone della Valpolicella Classico, 15% alcohol. I am ashamed to say I have very little experience with this region, even though it is where my great grandfather was from (don't roll in your grave, great grand-pa!). Early attempts with the region a few years back were not so exciting, finding myself with very jammy "ripasso" wines. Tonight, however, I find this wine intriguing; though high alcoholic, the prickly acidity was very refreshing, though my gut tells me (other than I should continue going to the gym), that I should have waited more time before opening this 2003 wine. The wine is incredibly full bodied with deep dark cherry/chocolate/spice/licorice notes. Any words of wisdom and/or comments???
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Amarone Classico question......

by James Roscoe » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:19 pm

The Corte Antica is a nice entry Amorone. I get the most recent vintage at my local Total Wine outlet for $19.99, which is quite a steal for Amorone of any kind. I always find the Antica pretty slurpable, but pay a little more and you will get a little more. Of course visit a rich uncle in Verona.....You are in serious trouble now. It's great with a nice piece of rare duck breast, but that's just me.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:19 pm

Good question, Paulo. I havent found an early release (a year or two or three after vintage) amarone that I've liked. Most have been really hot and heavy although I've never tried Corte Antica. The only older amarone I've had have been Bertani and Masi who release 6 or 7 years after vintage (the current release for either is 2000, I think). I havent really seen any secondary development of note from release to 15yrs after vintage (the oldest I've had) from Bertani but they sure are yummy.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:24 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:Good question, Paulo. I havent found an early release (a year or two or three after vintage) amarone that I've liked. Most have been really hot and heavy although I've never tried Corte Antica. The only older amarone I've had have been Bertani and Masi who release 6 or 7 years after vintage (the current release for either is 2000, I think). I havent really seen any secondary development of note from release to 15yrs after vintage (the oldest I've had) from Bertani but they sure are yummy.

Thanks, Bill. Now I am curious to try an older Amarone, as long it is not too jammy. Have you experienced prickly acidity? I felt like I was being attacked by piranhas!!!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:55 am

Paulo, I think you are hooked on the great Amarone!! This one you tasted is a big seller here in town.
I have heard that Western Canada is a big, big buyer of Amarone, especially in restaurants.

Bob.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:38 am

Paulo
We've drunk a couple of bottles of Speri Monte Sant'Urbano over the last year and both of them (1997 and 1998) restored my waning interest in Amarone. Both had depth, complexity, but also a great balance to the rich fruit with a noticeably drying finish. They're not cheap, but little Amarone is.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:49 am

Have you experienced prickly acidity? I felt like I was being attacked by piranhas!!!!
Hmm, I cant say I've felt prickly acidity, Paulo, but there has to be a goodly amount of acid to counter the concentration of the fruit sugar. I may have to open a bottle and do some testing.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Paulo, just by chance Sergio Esposito, Batali's partner in the Italian Wine Merchants, had a neat little intro to Veneto this week. I thought you might find his overview helpful -- I've left out the specific reccos and extract only the summaries:

Valpolicella Classico

Valpolicella Classico, Valpolicella Superiore and/or Ripasso, Amarone della Valpolicella, and Recioto della Valpolicella all generally comprise the Veneto grape trio of Corvina, Rondinella, and Molinara. To comprehend these wines fully, it is best to begin with the simple, dry red known as Valpolicella (and Classico); The Classico (denotes a wine that is made in the inner, superior Valpolicella zone) is the simplest expression of the Valpolicella quartet.

For Valpolicella, Corvina and Rondinella typically represent a minimum of 60% of the blend; the former contributes structural elements and deep cherry aromatics, and the latter imparts a floral note. Molinara’s role has been increasingly reduced in recent years; some producers favor Corvinone, a grape that is thought to be a subvariety of Corvina. Small amounts of other local and international varieties constitute the remaining percentage; the former include Negrara, Croatina, Teroldego, and Dindarella, and the latter, Cabernets Franc and Sauvignon.

Both Corte Sant’Alda’s Ca’ Fiui bottling and Nicolis’ Valpolicella Classico offer textbook introductions to the character of Valpolicella’s most modest expression. Each features the standard varietal composition (Corvina, Rondinella, and Molinara), and sees only a brief period of oak aging. The Ca’ Fiui delivers red cherry fruit and a distinct savory element melding with layers of spice; the Nicolis also offers a savory–spicy dimension with hints of plums and cherries. A Valpolicella Normale typically accommodates a wide range of foods, given its marked acidity and lean fruit expression (relative to the other Valpolicella wines). Pasta, grilled vegetables, poultry, and red meats all find a reliable partner in this staple expression of the Veneto.

Valpolicella Superiore & Ripasso

Perhaps one of the best values in Italian wine based on a price-to-quality ratio is Valpolicella Superiore. At the Superiore level, Valpolicella must achieve higher alcohol content, receive longer aging, and display more body and structure than the simple Valpolicella. To reach these goals many Superiore undergo one of two techniques: “governo alla Toscana” or ripasso.

At this level of the hierarchy, Amarone and Valpolicella meet “halfway,” so to speak. Under the “governo alla Toscana” method (its name pays tribute to its original identity as a refermentation technique used in the Chianti zone), producers blend the finished Valpolicella with a small percentage of Amarone (from withered and concentrated grapes) remaining from a previous batch. Others employ the ripasso method, enriching the Valpolicella wine through direct contact with (or passing through) the Amarone’s lees. The grapes used for a Valpolicella Superiore are fully ripe, yet are not deemed fit to perform well in the drying room, which is used in the appassimento (or passito) process for Amarone.

The Novaia and Corte Sant’Alda bottlings both derive from the ripasso method, receiving the beneficent influence of Amarone’s opulent character. Novaia employs slightly overripe grapes and substitutes Corvinone for Molinara; it is aged in barrique for 2 years and the influence of dried grapes is discernible on the palate. The Corte Sant’Alda, aged in barrique for 18 months, is slightly more restrained, yet captures the attractive flavor of morello cherries.

Perhaps the ultimate expression for Valpolicella comes from Romano Dal Forno. His technique is more in keeping with the “governo alla Toscana” method, which provides for higher concentration. Dal Forno's Valpolicellas typically outperform most Amarones on the market.

Amarone della Valpolicella

Valpolicella Superiore, however extracted, offers but a modest suggestion of Amarone—the masterpiece of the Veneto. Having long resided in the upper echelon of Italian wine, no other dry wine in the world offers Amarone’s level of extraction and complexity. Such depth is achieved through the appassimento process, during which winemakers spread out carefully selected grapes in single layers to dry on straw or plastic mats for 60 to 100 days. During this time, the grapes loose a substantive amount of water weight, dramatically concentrating their sugars. Thereafter, the raisined grapes are crushed and fully fermented into a dry, full-bodied wine marked by high alcohol (a minimum of 14%, though it frequently attains between 15 - 16%). Part of its great intrigue lies in its deceptive nature: While the palate may initially interpret it as sweet, it finishes wholly dry, a quality that is often rather austere in certain productions.

At present, a triumvirate of producers defines the rare heights of expression realized by Amarone—Giuseppe Quintarelli, Romano dal Forno, and Tommaso Bussola. The first two are undisputed and highly revered masters of the form.

While Quintarelli—whose wines we will present in a special offering in the near future—crafts complex Amarones with a distinctive rusticity and earthy element, dal Forno delivers power-driven, opulent wines. Appropriately enough, dal Forno regards Amarone as an “extreme, emotional” wine. While these two masters certainly always stir the emotions of wine connoisseurs, at the moment, we at IWM are riveted by the highly anticipated return of Tommaso Bussola to our Veneto producer list. Several years ago, Quintarelli named him as the rising star of the Veneto, a designation that Bussola has more than validated through his tenacious experimentation regimen, a fierce discipline that has wrought wines of incredible intensity, garnering the most prestigious of accolades and placing his bottlings in the near-unattainable zone.

Recioto della Valpolicella

This is Valpolicella’s initial incarnation—a sweet wine that dates back to the Romans, who are credited with having developed the appassimento process (drying of the grapes). The sweetness derives from an arrested fermentation, a procedure that stops the conversion of sugar into alcohol, thereby leaving residual sugar. It is widely believed that Amarone emerged as the dry counterpart to Recioto when an unattended barrel of the latter fermented fully.

Novaia’s Recioto is pronounced on both the nose and palate, delivering a profusion of flavors encompassing florals, spices, red fruits, coffee, and chocolate. As with Amarone, a Recioto may be enjoyed on its own, though it marries well with a wide variety of cheeses (hard, mature, and creamy), as well as many pastries from the classic dessert tray.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:21 pm

Thanks, Bob! I get this newsletter as well and just read through it. I think it's time to explore this region more in depth! 8)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:58 pm

They really do a good job, I think -- the wines are very well described. The collection of past newsletter is a very good resource.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:00 pm

Bob Ross wrote:They really do a good job, I think -- the wines are very well described. The collection of past newsletter is a very good resource.

I have been to their store in NYC and I enjoy the newsletters! They are definitely very passionate about Italian wines.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:47 pm

Good stuff you posted there Bob. Time to think Italy again!!