The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dievole Broccato Toscana 2001 IGT

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Trenton B.

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:19 pm

Arlington VA

WTN: Dievole Broccato Toscana 2001 IGT

by Trenton B. » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:31 pm

2001 Dievole Broccato Toscana IGT (Italy - Tuscany) 13%

I left it open for about an hour and half to let it calm while I ate dinner, a quick sniff after opening revealed a very mellow berry smell and a slight vanilla perception.

Color: A nice purplish burgundy hue, I love Italian red.

Initial pour aroma: Slightly medicinal at first then realized I still had some Tabasco sauce lingering on the ole palate, a few quick swigs and back in for a good sniff. Strong fruity overtones, mostly blackberry, a quick swirl about the bowl and another whiff brings about rich vanilla and crisply edged with an oakish flavor. I like it a lot.

Initial taste: Once again a medicinal taste, remedied quickly with a quick swish across the palate to clean. My god is this stuff rich in flavor, a little on the jammy side, but it bodes well for me because I like a rich flavor and this delivers. A definite blackberry taste, some lurking vanilla, dare I say a little tobacco, like a finely aged Connecticut wrapper flavor, interesting to say the least.

Opening up and through the first glass: Great stuff, warm and inviting, makes me want to drink more not to mention so relaxing. Almost like silk going across the tongue, no harsh aftertaste, which is contributing to me wanting to drink more. Started to get hints of earthiness, like mushroom, but they cannot overpower the berry flavor.

The finish: Very harmonious, a nice medium body that does not overload the senses. A Tuscan that fits well in the geography of origin, I would rate it among the best IGT's from that region. The aging in oak barrels is enough that it does not overpower, yet enough to notice it, a nice compliment.

A nice wine for $21.99 (in Sicily on a military base), I picked up three bottles of it along with its big brother Novecento, Chianti Classico Resirva 2001 DOCG. Looking forward to opening that up and tasting what it has to offer.

Disclaimer: My first tasting notes posted, reference to tobacco may have something to do with the fact that I smoke an occasional cigar when the mood strikes. Ok a lot while in Sicily, but nonetheless a valid perception while drinking this fine wine.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Dievole Broccato Toscana 2001 IGT

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:33 am

Nice notes Trenton, we will look for more!!