The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Recent Wines, Mostly Good...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Recent Wines, Mostly Good...

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:09 pm

Ch. Bonnet '05 Entre-Deux-Mers: Bottled in screw cap, this is a clean, crisp SB and at $12 good QPR. 88 pts
Garaudet '01 Beaune 1er Cru "Belissand": On day one this wine had a little trouble keeping up with a pheasant stew with wild rice, but on day 3 it was beautiful with a chicken dish. 89 pts To go against the pheasant we opened the
Ceretto '99 Barbaresco Asij: This wine had no trouble with the meal and seemed to fit the grape's profile nicely. Nebbiolo is big wine and I enjoy it when I drink it, but only 2-3 times a year. 91 pts
Got lucky when a friend called and said he wanted to drink his '83 Mouton Rothschild before it was too late, so I said come on over and I'll fix dinner. A quick NY strip later and we had opened and decanted his wine and while we fixed supper we enjoyed
William Fevre '05 Chablis "Champs Royaux": Not a lot of minerality or flintiness, but very nice Chard with most of what you want in a Chablis.88pts Then...
'83 Mouton Rothschild: Decanted 2 hrs (it needed more) and it continued to open up in the glass. What can I say, classic Bdx, and in the glass it just got better and better (92 pts) so while we waited for it to wake up we opened
'99 Leoville Poyferre, St. Julien: Right out of the gate this was opened for business. Not a show stopper, but it held up well to the competition. 90 pts.
'01 Blanc de Lynch Bages: Not sure why I bought this wine, but was expecting more. I guess the name justifies the $$. 87 pts.
Paitin '04 Barbera d'Alba Serra Boella: Picked this up in Willmington, DE about a year ago at Moore Brothers. Wish I could get more, it was fabulous and only $17. 90 pts.
'96 Clos de Marquis, St. Julien: Just a nice mid-weight Bdx 88 pts.
Corsin '04 St. Veran: Another Moore Brothers selection and very noteworthy. This seem more like a nice village Burg, on point and singing with the crab cakes. 90 pts. My wife had fixed gnudi with a black truffle sauce and mashed potatoes w/more truffles and we poured
Latour '02 Chorey-les-Beaune: This light weight Burg was about right for the delicate gnudi and allowed the truffles to shine. 87 pts. Then we served a ceasar's salad with NY strip and
'01 Haut-Bages Averous, Pauillac: recently given a "Decanter Award" I was expecting a little more out of this second label, but just a very nice wine. 90 pts.
Dom de la Fruitiere '04 Jardin de la Fruitiere, VdP Loire Atlantique: Nice easy drinking blend, 12% ABV 85 pts.
Cht. de la Ragotiere '05 Muscadet S&M Sur Lie: This was the black label and should be as good as the '04 was but will need a little time, 6-12 months and probable keep 3-4 years. 89 pts.
Duboeuf '05 Chiroubles: Like most '05 Beaujolais this is beautiful stuff, and great QPR. 88pts.
Dom des Corbillieres '05 Touraine Sauvignon: last night with oysters, this might just be the best accompaniment ever with oysters-on-the-half-shell, and nice QPR to boot! 88 pts, but 90 pts w/oysters!
Rust en Vrede '99 Estate Wine: This Bdx blend was showy with fully resolved tannis, but a heavy dose of oak that seemed to detract a little from the wine, but went well with the short ribs. 88 pts.
That's all for now!
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

Re: Recent Wines, Mostly Good...

by Charles Weiss » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:30 pm

Thanks for the nice notes. Did you forget to drink the '83 Mouton? I'm guessing not.
Charles
Charles Weiss