The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WT4Nights: Chillable Counoise

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

WT4Nights: Chillable Counoise

by Pat G » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:07 pm

Groundwork by Sans Liege Counoise, Central Coast, 2018.

Deep ruby with very good clarity; a few bubbles on days 1 &2. Medium legs. Red and black fruit forward: red currant, cranberry, raspberry, black and sour cherry. Minor hint of eucalyptus and black pepper. Medium body, bright and juicy texture. Medium + finish; almost high acidity. The acidity amps up the finish; and that acidity lasted for all 4 days. Impression: very interesting wine. Vaguely reminiscent of Sangiovese and Grenache, but fuller in body and greater acid. Complexity; keeps drawing you back as wine temperature changes. I stored in the refrigerator because, at the tasting room, the wine was noted to be a "chillable red". But consider pouring a glass 30 minutes before drinking.Better taste, better finish. Drink now.

We visited the Sans Liege tasting room at Tin City in Paso during 2019. They were pushing the Sans Liege line while frugal one here wanted to focus on Groundwork. And I did, indeed, get several tastes of the latter upon request. Then we got to the Sans Liege. Well, I had to buy The Offering, 2017. The red Rhone blend. It was $32 but too promising. FWIW learned after the fact that the 2016 Offering was in WS Top 100.

Sidebar: now I note that TC has their Counoise on special this month for $28. I am a VinDependent so typically buy a half case per year of various selections. Tempted to start a half-case with a Counoise or two. Why not?