The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SFGate Article: 'Millennials' love imported wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

SFGate Article: 'Millennials' love imported wine

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:25 am

The article discusses a poll which suggests that younger folks tend to buy more imported than domestic wine. Towards the very end of the article we read:

In an effort to promote California products, the California Association of Winegrape Growers said this month that it will begin a public relations campaign "informing U.S. wine consumers and wine trade media of the vineyard practices that add value to California wines.''

"Every major wine-producing country has an aggressive program in the United States, and California needs to make sure there is a California message out there," association President Karen Ross said.

The campaign will focus on the "passion for growing, adaptability and deep commitment to sustainable practices'' of individual growers, Ross said.

So let's all look for the advertisements telling us that that barnyard smell we're getting from our Pinot Noir is a true function of real cow poop and not chemicals. :roll:

The whole article is here: 'Millennials' love imported wine: Research shows 21-to-30 crowd and Gen Xers are trying new labels and often buy online.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

Re: SFGate Article: 'Millennials' love imported wine

by Andrew Shults » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:39 am

I wonder how much of this trend toward "imports" is really a trend toward [yellowtail]. While it may be alarming for a California wine factory to see its market share taken by a competitor, I'm not sure that the country of origin is relevant as much as branding. Many or the twenty-somethings I see purchasing wine seem to look for the [yellowtail] section, not the Australian section of the store.

I would be more interested in data for purchases of 750ml bottles over $10 or so, to exclude the low-quality, mass-produced stuff. If there's a trend toward imports here, that would provide better support for the article's idea that millennials are interested in trying new wines.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:59 am

I am a twenty-something (for 9 more months :D ), and never even consider buying Californian wine. I also don't buy South American or Australian wine (Except for an Argentine Malbec for Wine Focus -I'll drink it yet Bob!). I don't think I'm alone in my age group for favoring European wines. I think the younger wine consumer is also more exposed to imported wine and not as rooted in California patriotism. However, I don't know as many 20-somethings (aside from those on this board) who favor German, French and Austrian wines as much as I do. And, I can say with confidence that there are very few American 29 year olds who share my affection for Swiss wines :D . And, who knows? Maybe Yellow Tail is really the gateway drug that Yellow Tail 'wine' salesman say it is (so they can sleep at night :twisted: ).

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Ben E.

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:31 pm

by Ben E. » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:22 pm

I agree with the comments so far. I think that most of the "imported" wine is cheap aussie stuff and the like. It seems like these wines are filling a price-range hole that primarily fits young adults. Most 20-somethings have move passed the cheap junk that California makes, but don't have the money (or taste?) for the truely good stuff. So they buy the $8 imports.

This 20-something tends to buy European wine for the lesser known wines (Vouvray, Bojo) because I think that it's better but it's not obscenely expensive. But for Cab or Pinot, the everyday stuff will probably come from California and Oregon, since it's such a better deal. The good stuff from France quickly gets out of my price range.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:00 pm

Andrew Shults wrote:I wonder how much of this trend toward "imports" is really a trend toward [yellowtail]. While it may be alarming for a California wine factory to see its market share taken by a competitor, I'm not sure that the country of origin is relevant as much as branding. Many or the twenty-somethings I see purchasing wine seem to look for the [yellowtail] section, not the Australian section of the store.

I would be more interested in data for purchases of 750ml bottles over $10 or so, to exclude the low-quality, mass-produced stuff. If there's a trend toward imports here, that would provide better support for the article's idea that millennials are interested in trying new wines.

I can only speak for our store and your conclusion reached iin your first paragraph is correct when it come to the sales in our store.When it comes to more expensive wines we sell a large majority from CA. Of course we are located in CA and that probably explains why. The Aussies have done an excellent job on promoting the lower end of the wine spectrum
no avatar
User

Eve Lejeune

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:39 am

Paris, France

by Eve Lejeune » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:41 am

Lou Kessler wrote:I can only speak for our store and your conclusion reached iin your first paragraph is correct when it come to the sales in our store.When it comes to more expensive wines we sell a large majority from CA. Of course we are located in CA and that probably explains why. The Aussies have done an excellent job on promoting the lower end of the wine spectrum

Hi Lou, Hi everybody,

I'm located in Paris but I teach an International MBA program on Wine and Food for a business school. I'm very interested by your exchange on what Millenials drink and buy. It's amazing to me (and comforting) to see young Americans being open to international wines, even if those wines are not the best. At least they're open enough to try and decide if they like them or don't.

This trend is less clear in Europe: young people are more curious about international wines but when it comes to buying, they're usually conservative: a good French label is more reassuring than those fancy New World ones! :D

Which brings me to my point (thank you for being patient): a new trend is starting in Europe. Young winemakers are creating funny packaging (see the Lubie bottle, for example : lubie.fr) for a very simple Sauvignon blanc or wines designed for young people "New World style". Does it mean our young people are going to develop an international palate, different from ours trained to recognise a wine by its origin? I'll let the professionals answer this puzzling question!

Cheers, Eve
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:10 pm

Eve Lejeune wrote:I can only speak for Which brings me to my point (thank you for being patient): a new trend is starting in Europe. Young winemakers are creating funny packaging (see the Lubie bottle, for example : lubie.fr) for a very simple Sauvignon blanc or wines designed for young people "New World style". Does it mean our young people are going to develop an international palate, different from ours trained to recognise a wine by its origin? I'll let the professionals answer this puzzling question!

It would seem that the young winemakers of whom you speak are just hopping on the current marketing band waggon. That little bottle with its crown cork, reminiscent of a bottle of Coke, would seem to want to generate an image of "young" and "chic" since it is so totally different from the "old" and "stodgy" traditional wine bottle. I doubt that this has anything to do with anybody's palate.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:18 pm

I like old and stodgy labels with line drawings of country manors. But then, I am 44 and snobby and hardly a "millenial." :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Eve Lejeune

Rank

Wine geek

Paris, France

by Eve Lejeune » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:34 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote: That little bottle with its crown cork, reminiscent of a bottle of Coke, would seem to want to generate an image of "young" and "chic" since it is so totally different from the "old" and "stodgy" traditional wine bottle. I doubt that this has anything to do with anybody's palate.

It does want to look young and chic indeed but the wine is good. Funnily enough when I showed the bottle to my students who are in the 20's and 30's, they disliked it but enjoyed the wine. They disliked the bottle because they thought it inappropriate for a good wine. What I like about the bottle (I'm over 50) is the small quantity: 37,5 l. Nice for a bachelor or bachelorette or for a couple who wants to have a glass each.

I do understand what you mean by "nothing to do with anybody's palate". I was more referring to an other wine, created by a young company, nayandei:

http://julie-dv.blogspot.com/2006/07/nayandei.html

I hope you read French - their site in English is out!

This kind of marketing is rather new in France - it's an old story in the States; But it does affect the palate of the young drinkers - sweeter and lighter wines are their trend.
no avatar
User

Eve Lejeune

Rank

Wine geek

Paris, France

by Eve Lejeune » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:37 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:I like old and stodgy labels with line drawings of country manors. But then, I am 44 and snobby and hardly a "millenial." :lol:

I like bright and funny labels with funny names. But I'm French, 53 and have spent my life among manors on labels and in the countryside! :D
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:36 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:I like old and stodgy labels with line drawings of country manors. But then, I am 44 and snobby and hardly a "millenial." :lol:

I'm ten years younger, yet I have always loved those old and stodgy labels with country manors too! I find new-wave-art labels distracting and annoying personally.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:33 am

Paul B. wrote:

I'm ten years younger, yet I have always loved those old and stodgy labels with country manors too! I find new-wave-art labels distracting and annoying personally.

I love the Chateau label. It is strange to think that the 'Country Chateau' was yester-years 'Cute Animal Label'. It was surely just as prevalent as today’s kangaroos and the like. I wonder if the 1960's wine drinker was as irritated by ANOTHER CHATEAU on the label as we are with another flying monkey riding a pink unicycle.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Ben E.

Rank

Cellar rat

by Ben E. » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:36 am

Even as a 20-something, I like the older looking labels. However, there is an inherent snobbery when it comes to European wine labels that can be a real turn-off to newer wine drinkers. The grape used to make the wine is pretty much never listed, only the region. And while I've learned what grapes correspond to what regions, I doubt that most 20-somethings know this. Even worse are the "I'm so famous I'm just going to put my name on the label" labels, that don't tell you anything else.

I'm not a big fan of the artwork on "trendy" labels, but the content of the labels is vastly superior.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:29 am

Ah, that's a whole 'nother debate Ben. The French would argue that the appellation is what's important, not the grape varietal, I'm not sure they are entirely wrong, either, given how different the, for example, various "Cabernets" out there are.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Ben E.

Rank

Cellar rat

by Ben E. » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:01 am

I agree that the appellation is important. I'm just saying, how are new wine drinkers supposed to compare cabs when they can't find anything with "cabernet" on the label in the European section? Typically, the Pinot Noir section doesn't have any French wine, and the French section doesn't have anything that says "Pinot Noir". Those $8-10 bottles from Australia and South America rarely have you guessing what you're drinking.
no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

by Andrew Shults » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:18 am

Ben E. wrote:I agree that the appellation is important. I'm just saying, how are new wine drinkers supposed to compare cabs when they can't find anything with "cabernet" on the label in the European section? Typically, the Pinot Noir section doesn't have any French wine, and the French section doesn't have anything that says "Pinot Noir". Those $8-10 bottles from Australia and South America rarely have you guessing what you're drinking.

I'm starting to see bottles with both Bourgogne and Pinot Noir on the label, in some cases with Pinot Noir in larger type than Bourgogne. :shock: At the grocery store where I work part-time (a community-owned Co-Op with a great wine section, not some mass-market chain), our best selling Burgundy is the one with Pinot Noir in the largest type. Of course, it helps that this bottle is only 12 bucks and actually tastes like real Burgundy rather than some Americanized imitation.

Notwithstanding my earlier comment about people looking for the [yellowtail] section, I find that many customers of all ages are open to trying new wines. The key is being able to offer some interesting suggestions with real character for $12 or less, like a really herbal Gavi, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, Vouvray, an elegant South African Bordeaux-style blend, Tempranillo, and Malbec.

My current project is turning people on to Edmunds St. John's "The Shadow." (I wonder where I got the tip about that one?) :wink: I want to run out the distributor's stock before the major wine retailers realize their mistake in not stocking it.