The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Trader Joe's Find?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

Trader Joe's Find?

by Pat G » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:41 pm

They are now offering one of their private bottlings "Reserve" Cabernet Sauv. 2018. Columbia Valley, Wahluke Slope. 93% Cab, 7% Merlot. Checked out the bottle yesterday and, as is typical, can't discern who actually made it. $10 in CA.

Didn't buy as we have plenty of wine. But interesting to keep an eye out.

Any thoughts or other recent value finds welcome, of course.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Trader Joe's Find?

by Jenise » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:45 pm

The'16 of that Lot #189 was apparently an oaky mess. Who knows what the '18 will be, though, probably not even the same source. I did try to uncover the source and failed but Trader Joe's own site had this hilarious footnote:

NOTE: Since posting, the details of this item may have changed due to fluctuating market prices, federal regulations, currency rates, drought, pestilence, bandits, rush hour traffic, filibusters, zombie apocalypse, and punctilious product developers...Contact our Crew for current price and availability.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Deciphering TJ's...

by TomHill » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:46 pm

Jenise wrote:The'16 of that Lot #189 was apparently an oaky mess. Who knows what the '18 will be, though, probably not even the same source. I did try to uncover the source and failed but Trader Joe's own site had this hilarious footnote:

NOTE: Since posting, the details of this item may have changed due to fluctuating market prices, federal regulations, currency rates, drought, pestilence, bandits, rush hour traffic, filibusters, zombie apocalypse, and punctilious product developers...Contact our Crew for current price and availability.

By law, the case must have the Bonded Wnry # printed on the case. If you can find an empty case of that wine &
retrieve the BW# from it, you can look it up (at least who bttld it; doesn't always identify who the producer is).
Oftentimes, it's bttld at AmericanCanyon/FredFranzia, who bought the wine in bulk.
Tom
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

Re: Deciphering TJ's...

by Steve Slatcher » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:51 am

TomHill wrote:By law, the case must have the Bonded Wnry # printed on the case. If you can find an empty case of that wine &
retrieve the BW# from it, you can look it up (at least who bttld it; doesn't always identify who the producer is).
Oftentimes, it's bttld at AmericanCanyon/FredFranzia, who bought the wine in bulk.
Tom

I presume it is the same as in the EU: it is a legal requirement to be able to identify the bottler of any wine, for traceability.

The bottler may or may not be the same as the producer, and if not the authorities should be able to trace back to the source through the bottler and lot number.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

by Pat G » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:57 pm

When I went to TJs today found the following on the case box.

BW WA-85

Also noted was:

PAT04

Is there a link to check this out?
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:42 pm

BW WA-85 appears to be Chateau Ste Michelle.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:42 pm

Pat, I finally got to try this as my brother bought it after I put an alert on my Facebook wine and food page. Keeping in mind that because of the oak what CSM does is not my preferred style, it's excellent. Great fruit and body, drinks like $30--a great value for $10. Thanks for mentioning it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

by Pat G » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:05 pm

Thanks for the info, Jenise. I went to TJs today and the wine is still there, but supply looked to be about 12-18 bottles. So I got 1 for us and 1 for my MIL. More than I usually pay at TJs, but it is a Cab from WA and the producer is at least consistent. Why not? 2018 vintage, may be able to keep for a few years if we desire.

While there noted they had the Oktoberfest TJs brew. Got 2 6-packs for Dear Husband. That stuff can sell out quickly, he likes their lagers, enough said.

They're pushing everything pumpkin. Will see how soon supplies disappear or dwindle. Last year if we really wanted something I grabbed it at first sight.