The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Need help choosing Amador zins

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

Re: Need help choosing Amador zins

by Mark Willstatter » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:18 pm

Jenise wrote:Mark, thanks. I pretty much figured out Katie's style from the website, trouble now is getting the wines. The one internet seller I'd found a good supply of their wines at, Winerz in So Cal, despite what their website shows is out of the Clockspring and the Esola won't be released until June. I bought her Sauv Blanc for the pre-tasting session, but sadly may not be able to use any AFW zins in this tasting at all.

So far I have the Karly Warrior Fires, Sobon ReZerve, Ruhnquist Z, Scott Harvey OV and Gott Dillian, and the sixth spot that was going to be the AFW is open. That'll probably end up going to Easton or Montevina Deaver, whichever I find first. The other two pretasting wines are Karly and Gott SB's.

That sounds like a good, representative line up. I'd say get the AFW wines direct but last I knew, they'd stopped shipping to WA because of the new direct shipping laws here. They briefly had a distributor in WA a few years back but no more.
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:16 am

Good choices. 2004 was a difficult year. I agree with most of the comments made and the final ratings posted elsewhere.

Well I guess the wines were good--I wasn't able to attend--but the comment I've heard over and over is that all the wines were so good that it was hard to rate/rank them. The usual technique of easily picking out your first and last place wines, then putting one's energy into sorting out #'s 2 thru 5, wasn't possible.

Sure found it hard to find ratings/critical reviews of the wines when we went to put together our fact sheet. There would seem to be an opening for a Zinhound, if you will--someone who will make it their personal mission to become the area expert. Someone's missing an opportunity...interested?
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:34 am

Rod, not too often one mentions Amador Foothill here!! One of my fav wineries, they just released the `01 Syrah here in Canada.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:52 am

Is Jenise going to tell us how the evening went? I am interested in this area as well. My wife loves the zins of this appelation.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:34 pm

James, I only got back from Denmark the night before and couldn't adjust to the time difference fast enough to attend the tasting, so I don't have any first-hand notes. I only know from others that all the wines were terrific and people had a real hard time picking out favorites--there were no losers. The Joel Gott "Dillian" took first place with the group, where a person whose palate is usually quite similar to mine picked the well-structured Karly as his favorite.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:39 pm

I hope you had a great time in Denmark! I have to admit to being disappointed not to have your account of tasting these wines. They were an excellent group! Will anyone else post? I certainly understand why you didn't go!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:57 pm

Sorry, James, but no, no one else will post. Heck, over Saturday/Sunday I spoke to six, no eight, eight people who were there, and not ONE of them could remember the name of their favorite wine. You don't think they actually took notes, do you? :shock:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:16 pm

Jenise wrote:Sorry, James, but no, no one else will post. Heck, over Saturday/Sunday I spoke to six, no eight, eight people who were there, and not ONE of them could remember the name of their favorite wine. You don't think they actually took notes, do you? :shock:

Who am I to talk? I am the same way. What is the secret to taking notes at an event like that? (Other than having a pen and some paper.) :roll: :oops:
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:57 pm

Jenise wrote: The Joel Gott "Dillian" took first place with the group,

Nice stuff! Now I need to try the Karly.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:34 am

Here is the best article on the Scott Harvey Amador story.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/08/11/WIG34E4P0V1.DTL
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
Previous