The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ida Flood wines- BDx, Bojo, OR, Loire, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Ida Flood wines- BDx, Bojo, OR, Loire, etc

by Dale Williams » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:35 am

Our last night in Minneapolis, Cal made a beef fried rice, we opened the 2005 Domaine Thenard Clos St Pierre Givry 1er Cru. Light but still alive, cranberry, raspberry, and mushrooms, not very long. B-/C+

No wine Tuesday, Wednesday I created (I thought) a water barrier at office before heading home to make mussels on pasta with a tomato sauce. 2012 Pepiere Clisson was lovely wine, seashell over citrus, crunchy and bright, just a hint of mature nuttiness. B+/A-

At 9:30 that night the alarm on home backup sump pump went off. For first time ever water inflow from Ida was more than my pump could handle. Several inches in basement, then about 11 pump more or less caught up and drained most of it. Went into office Th to discover Main St had overflowed so much it went over my homemade barriers, flooding office. As far as wine, lost a couple labels on bottom rack of home cellar, had to rebox many cases, at office (overflow cellar) several damaged boxes (flood drained from main floor into basement). Ugh. Lots of work, but no serious damage- we have friends who got 6 feet in their house (covering a Steinway grand), and know others who lost cars. Thursday night no wine ( spicy shrimp and corn/feta salad), I went to city via circuitous route, on way home was amazed at maybe 100 abandoned cars and 2-3 dozen tractor-trailers waiting to be towed on other side of Deegan. What a storm.

Friday kielbasa and cabbage with white beans in a mustard/dill sauce. Wine was the 2013 Clos du Roilette (Coudert) Griffe de Marquis. Water had reached a box of assorted 2013 Beaujolais (it was off floor, but not enough), so decided to drink bottom layer. Very happy with this one- snappy cranberry and cherry, spice, a light cigarbox note. Nice velvety texture, good length. B+/A-

Saturday oysters, lobster, green beans, salad.
2018 Morgen Long Chardonnay (Willamette)
Pear, a little vanilla, moderate acids. B

Sunday Betsy had a concert at Music Mountain, I had dinner ready when she got home. Ribeye in coffee rub, burrata caprese, green salad, leftover corn/feta salad. Another flood bottle, a
2000 Grand Corbin Despagne (St. Emilion), found on bottom of grid racks, only other thing there were ports/maderia with painted labels. I thought I had finished these years ago, but this stray actually was drinking better than I imagined- mid modern, but not OTT in any way. Lush texture, mocha and dark berries, a little eucalyptus note that surprises me. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Ida Flood wines- BDx, Bojo, OR, Loire, etc

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:46 pm

Glad you did not have serious flooding at home.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Ida Flood wines- BDx, Bojo, OR, Loire, etc

by Jenise » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:09 pm

Dale, what a calamity but of course could have been even worse. Can't imagine dealing with flooding. And the Steinway! Sounds like you're being practical about making the most of it. Good luck while everything dries out and here's hoping the next storm misses you by miles.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov