The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - Recent Bottles From the Cellar

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

WTN - Recent Bottles From the Cellar

by John S » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:17 pm

I've had a few trips to the Okanagan over the last year or two, so some Canadian wines are making an appearance. I used to be rather anti-Canadian wine, and the vast majority of producers are still making basic table wine, but there are certainly some producers that aim for something higher. Ontario is still the leader, IMHO, though BC is making strides too. They are still only 1-2% of my cellar, but that is an increase from the recent past...

• 2010 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Terrunyo Block Las Terrazas - Chile, Maipo Valley, Pirque (2021-09-06)
    My last bottle. Just coming into its own at 11 years. Still very deeply coloured, the intense nose offers blackberries, earthy notes, chocolate, plum, a slight herbal smell, iron and tobacco. There's a velvety texture to the medium to full bodied and concentrated palate, with similar flavours to the nose, but also some lingering tannins at the back of the palate. Definitely new world, but impressive in that style. (A-)
  • 2010 The Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (2021-09-04)
    Had this last night. It was a beautiful, elegant, classy wine firing on all cylinders almost from the beginning. Translucent ruby in colour, it has a glorious nose of sandalwood, cherries, mushrooms, cinnamon and earthy notes. The medium bodied yet intensely flavoured wine showed similar notes on the palate and had a lovely, velvety texture with just the right amount of light tannins at the end to give it structure; it was beautifully balanced as well, and I liked the balance between the fruit and savory notes. It seemed to be in its secondary phase, I think this will improve over the short to medium term, but it was sure was spot on last night. (A)
  • 2015 Château de la Roulerie Coteaux du Layon - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Coteaux du Layon (2021-09-02)
    Had this a few days ago, and remember this as good but not great. There was a nice, waxy, 'cheniny' texture, and the off dry, medium bodied palate showed good balance; it was less sweet than I was expecting, which isn't a bad thing. Straw and stonefruit were in the nose and palate. (B+)
  • 2014 Cape of Good Hope Wine Co Sémillon Laing - South Africa, Coastal Region (2021-08-25)
    Light to medium yellow/straw in colour. Pears, straw and lime on the fairly light, but interesting nose. Similar flavours on the medium bodied palate, along with some oak spice and mango. Interesting, tasty wine that should last and improve at least several years. On the second day, a waxy texture appeared and the flavours were more integrated. Very nice wine. (A-)
  • 2017 Bellingham Chenin Blanc The Bernard Series Old Vine - South Africa, Western Cape (2021-08-23)
    Hazy notes from a few days ago. I enjoyed this rich, oaked style of SA chenin blanc. A mix of mainly stonefruit and tropical fruit on the medium bodied, fairly concentrated palate, along with wood notes from the oak treatment. A nice version of this style, and it had enough acidity to brighten up the rich fruit and oak flavours. (B+/A-)
  • 2012 St. Urbans-Hof Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (2021-08-13)
    This is integrating and aging very well. Light golden in colour, with a great nose of stone fruits, tropical fruits and minerals. Medium bodied palate full of the same mix of fruits - grilled pineapple, mango in particular - with good minerality and acidity. This will last many years, but is very good now too. (A-)
  • 2015 David Finlayson Chenin Blanc Camino Africana - South Africa, Coastal Region, Stellenbosch (2021-08-08)
    This was definitely going for the rich, ripe, oaked style of SA chenin blanc. Flamboyantly coloured bright gold, the nose was full of rich tropical fruits and oak. Fat, rich and ripe on the palate, and the last 1-2 seconds on the medium-full bodied palate provide a blast of oak. It’s high quality oak, but it provides quite a statement. This wine was a little too over the top for me, as it’s an extreme, amped up version of chenin; well done in this style, though, and certainly quite tasty. (B+)
  • 2010 Mitchell Riesling Watervale - Australia, South Australia, Mount Lofty Ranges, Watervale (2021-08-08)
    This was as fresh as a daisy. Drinking very well now, this was, as per usual, a very dry Clare riesling with primarily citrus flavours, but there was a nice richness to the medium bodied, intense palate as well. Really enjoyed this, if you still have some it should last quite a while. (A-)
  • 2017 Tawse Riesling Quarry Road Vineyard - Canada, Ontario, Niagara Peninsula, Vinemount Ridge VQA (2021-08-01)
    Very light in colour. Mainly lime and a bit of lemon, minerality, nexctarine and pine on the nice, refreshing nose. Similar flavours on the medium bodied, crisp palate, though there is a little creaminess there too; but the minerality shines brightly. On the dry side of off dry, there is length on the finish, and this should last for many years yet. Good QPR. (A-)
  • 2019 Nichol Vineyard Pinot Gris "Two Barrels" - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley (2021-07-31)
    Had this last week, and this was the second bottle I had in the last month. A lovely orange wine that wasn’t too extreme at all. Extended skin contact gives this a nice tannic grip along with orange and yellow flower flavours; medium bodied and still a refreshing wine. Only available at the winery, one of the best Okanagan orange wines I’ve tried. (B+/A-)
  • 2016 Jakoby-Mathy Kinheimer Rosenberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (2021-07-31)
    Had this last week, so I can’t remember much about this one. I enjoyed it, it was a light, fairly dry styled kabinett with citrus and stone fruit flavours that should last a while. (B+)
  • 2018 Orofino Vineyards Riesling Wild Ferment Old Vines - Canada, British Columbia, Similkameen Valley (2021-07-30)
    Outstanding riesling. Didn't take notes, but I was impressed with the concentration and balance of this wine. Was it dry or off dry - hard to tell! Mainly citrus notes but with stonefruits as well, and the minerality often found in this region. Dangerously easy to drink, and this should last quite a while. Impressive stuff from a great, under the radar producer and excellent QPR. (A-/A)
  • 2009 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (2021-07-10)
    The first night, the nose was all 'merde', and I suspect some of the cows had grazed underneath a cherry orchard. The palate did not show this note very much, and offered a panoply of red fruits, mainly cherries, raspberries and a bit of pomegranate. It was on the light-medium bodied spectrum, and offered a very pretty, elegant, dare I say a Burgundian style of cab franc. The second night this turned into a completely different wine: no hint of bretty notes at all, and it morphed into a medium bodied, deeper, darker coloured and flavoured wine that reflected a Bordeaux style. There was a mix of deeper redfruits and even some blackfruits as well. I'm not sure which version I preferred, but this can last many more years, and I'd decant for about 2 hours if you don't want to wait. Beautiful wine. (A-/A)
  • 2017 Blank Canvas Winery Syrah Element - New Zealand, North Island, Hawke's Bay, Gimblett Gravels (2021-07-08)
    An interesting cool climate style Syrah, cofermented with Gruner skins. Lots of pepper and bacon on the refreshing, light to medium bodied Syrah. Quite idiosyncratic, but I found it hard to drink more than a couple of glasses, as the wine only sang one strong note. (B)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN - Recent Bottles From the Cellar

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:22 pm

I have the 2017 Roulerie and assessed it about the same as your 2015.

I also have the 2010 Les Grézeaux - sounds like there is no reason to further defer enjoyment of that one. Have the 2017 Les Granges but think it would be way early to try that one. The Chinons often take a surprisingly long time to shine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:53 am

Bill, have you tried the Orofino reisling? Sounds pretty delectable. I may need to hunt for some of this next time I'm up.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:00 pm

Jenise wrote:Bill, have you tried the Orofino reisling? Sounds pretty delectable. I may need to hunt for some of this next time I'm up.

I haven't, but I have also seen good reports on it. We might be able to PU a bottle at the Penticton wine centre next month.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:03 pm

Oh good, something to hunt for; I love hunting. Yes, I think we must try this one!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:10 pm

I just emailed my friend John, who we will see next month, to see if he can PU a bottle of this

https://bcwineinfocentre.com/products/o ... ed06&_ss=r

for when we get together up there.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:25 pm

If we're afraid of them running out, I'd right here put in for another bottle to bring back for a riesling tasting I'll be attending at the end of the month. What John S. describes sounds like the perfect ringer.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

British Columbia

by John S » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:26 pm

I don' t think there's much of this available at any retail store. I've been looking around Vancouver and haven't found any so far. I think they only make 100 cases or so and sell it all to their wine club and at the winery. They sold out of this years release within weeks, I think. Hopefully I am wrong and you can find some. If you do, please let me know, I'd love to buy more myself!

Last year the release lasted much longer at the winery, so I think the word is getting out on this wine and the producer too. They have two other rieslings, one on the drier side (Hendsbee Vineyard Riesling 2019), one off dry (Hendsbee Vineyard Riesling 2019 Clone 21B; this is also sold out already at the winery), and they are both well worth trying too, but the old vines is definitely a step above.

If you are going through Keremeos/Cawston on the way to the Okanagan (my favourite route, Hwy 3), definitely stop for lunch or dinner at Row 14 restaurant.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:52 pm

Thanks for the tip, John. They are sold out of the Old Vines but had the 21B. I just bought some from them and a friend will PU for me. II am happy to sell you a bottle (you too, Jenise). I'll be grabbing it next month.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:26 pm

Thanks for the tip on Row 14. Would probably be the perfect place to grab lunch on our way to Summerland next month.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:41 pm

Howdy, I tasted at Orofino in july. Thought most of the wines offered pretty average. Clos du Soleil blew them away!
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

British Columbia

by John S » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:53 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Thanks for the tip, John. They are sold out of the Old Vines but had the 21B. I just bought some from them and a friend will PU for me. I am happy to sell you a bottle (you too, Jenise). I'll be grabbing it next month.

Thanks for the offer, Bill, but I already bought bottles of the Clone 21B; I bought some Old Vines too, but should have got more!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:57 pm

Will have to watch out for the Old Vines next year.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

British Columbia

by John S » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:13 pm

Jenise wrote:Thanks for the tip on Row 14. Would probably be the perfect place to grab lunch on our way to Summerland next month.

I highly recommend it. I know when I hear the words farm to table now, I almost shudder due to its 'hipness' and overuse, but this place really is at the farm itself! The company has spent several years providing produce to major Vancouver restaurants, and decided to create a restaurant in their orchard, somewhere in the middle of nowhere. It is definitely the best option between Vancouver and the Okanagan (and better than many in the Okanagan). The Lunch Harvest is a four course option that changes daily.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:09 am

John everything about that sounds terrific. I'll definitely put it in the plan if they haven't closed for the season by then.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:19 am

Jenise - if you go to Orofino, ask them when they will release the next vintage of the Old Vines. I can order next year for all three of us and save shipping on less than a case.