The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bdx, Loire, PYCM, Salon, more

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Bdx, Loire, PYCM, Salon, more

by Dale Williams » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:57 pm

Thursday a nice group gathered on covered patio at Harvest on Hudson. It had been years since I had been there, and I had a bit of culinary trepidation. But apparently they’ve had a new chef last couple years and food was quite good (and the view amazing, a rare combo). We shared calamari, then 2 apps each (I had excellent baccala with saffron-chili aioli, and very good
octopus with olives & potato), then shared 2 pizzas (4 cheese and meatbal), then for the 10 of us got 3 porterhouses for 2, with sides of fries and spinach.

1996 Salon

Wow, so young. Clean bright Chardonnay fruit (pear, apple) with fresh bread, but you can feel more potential lurking. B+ now, sure an A when ready.

2013 Pierre- Yves Colin-Morey En Remilly Saint Aubin 1er

Lovely white Burg, Meyer lemon and apple blossoms, a little vanilla, long chalk/mineral finish, A-

2019 Atlantida
Not on market yet, from a grape I had never heard of (Vijiriega, and no I won’t try to pronounce it), this was a delicious taut saline wine B++

2005 Boulay “La Comtesse” Sancerre

Still plenty of life,but not as nearby as last bottle, a but round and slightly lactic. B

2014 Boulay “La Comtesse” Sancerre

Taut, powerful, wet rocks. A-

1945 Ch. Olivier Blanc (Graves)
Served blind, clearly quite old, caramel and pineapple, others liked it more than me but fun to taste. C+

1983 Pichon Lalande
Double-decanted before going to restaurant, maybe 2 hours before serving. Intoxicating nose of black fruits, tobacco/cigarbox, and spice. Elegant on palate, cassis and cedar. Long finish. For my palate this was at apogee, and no danger of sliding down soon. One person thought it faded after a bit but I took a repour at end and thought still delicious.A/A-

1983 La Mission Haut Brion
When served seemed a little clumsier than other bottles I've had, but it was just opened at restaurant and was coming along with some air. At end pretty lovely with black currant & plum, smoke, and cedar. B+/A-

1995 Togni Cabernet Sauvignon
Lovely though still young and a bit tannic, cassis, black olive, mint. Structured and balanced, very long. With time a bit of (pleasant) bell pepper adds to complexity. A-

1998 Vieux Chateau Certan
Served blind, there was a mint/eucalyptus note that took some towards CA, but we agreed Bdx. Lush texture, exotic, herby and long. My initial guess was Figeac,others got VCC. A-

1985 Leoville Las Cases
Approachable for LLC, black fruit and leather, maybe a little blocky, table liked more than I did. B+/B

1986 Beychevelle

This is a wine I’ve liked a lot in past, but there was a wet cement/damp cardboard note here that made me say corked. One person kept arguing it was flawed, but not TCA, but even he didn;t want to drink. NR

1986 Pichon Lalande

Opened as a replacement, corked as well!

1996 Leoville las Cases
I’m not a big LLC fan, but this has always been a favorite, long and complex, though it’s still a long long way from maturity. B+/A- with improvement likely over decades.

1996 Pichon Lalande

This is much more approachable, balanced and long. Cedar/pencil shavings, tobacco, and mushrooms over a fine black plum and cassis foundation, A-

2009 Puffeney Vin Jaune

Quite complex, but I’m just not a vin jaune fan, so no rating,

Fun night with nice people. I was spitting some but still had to wait in parking lot for an hour before driving home.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Bdx, Loire, PYCM, Salon, more

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:55 pm

That was a good night!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Golodetz

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:55 am

Re: WTN: Bdx, Loire, PYCM, Salon, more

by Mark Golodetz » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:18 pm

Great notes as usual. I agree with everything here except I preferred the 1996 Las Cases to the Pichon. The VCC was extraordinary, as was the Pichon Lalande 1983. Tried to pick some up, and apparently it has become very hard to find.