The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

picking a wine coolers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sue Rich

Rank

Just got here

Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:48 am

picking a wine coolers

by Sue Rich » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:49 pm

Trying to decide on a wine cooler for storage in an unfinished basement. Looking for between 300 and 1000 bottle capacity units. Would like to here the following:
Brand and Model you have?
Pros/Cons
Would you buy it again? If not what would you do?

Thanks
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: picking a wine coolers

by John Treder » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:47 pm

I have a Vinotemp in the garage, several years old. I think it was sold as a "350", but the actual capacity is about 340 bottles unless I stack them up, precariously, at the top. Cost me about $1600.

It has a cooling unit that hasn't broken. It does keep the wine below 60 degrees, even in a Silicon Valley summer (not all that hot). Its excuse for "insulation" is its 1.5" thick particle-board walls. That's a negative. I got one without glass doors or fancy hardware because it was intended to live in the garage.

To buy another storage unit, I'd try to see one and I'd pay extra for one with actual insulation. The websites are no help at all.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:36 am

I also have that unfinished Vinotemp model, but with greater bottle capacity; got it back in the summer of 1998. The nice thing about having it in the garage, is that it is cool enough in the fall-winter-spring that the chilling unit does not run for many months at a time.

My biggest complaint is the relatively small amount of rack space for oversize bottles (e.g., sparkling wine, Pinot Noir, etc). I ended up building two small racks for 36 additional large bottle slots in the empty space above the top row, alongside the chilling unit.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:01 am

Do they still make Bartles and James? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:36 am

I'm not sure where you live, but I have a friend in Buffalo built a cellar in his basement to hold several hundred bottles. Simply made a small, very well insulated room with wine recks. Most of the time he doesn't have to do anything, but during the hotter days of the summer he hangs from the ceiling a few 1-gallon plastic jugs full of ice and changes them out every morning with a separate batch kept in the freezer. He says its never gotten above 65 deg F.
no avatar
User

KirbyB

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:53 am

Libertyville, IL

by KirbyB » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:08 am

Very new on the subject, but recently purchased a Eurocave 260. While it claims it can hold up to 260 bottles, I was told it will be closer to 200 depending on how many shelves I put in. For my 80 bottle collection, that gives me room to double and still have space left.

I researched several brands, but was sold on the Eurocave based on some reviews I read and speaking with the IWA associate. So far, it's been very good - the temperature appears to vary about 2 degrees between 54 and 56 degrees. It does not have a humidity feature, but I simply put a clean, wet sponge in the bottom of the unit and re-wet it every couple weeks (same time I recharge my cigar humidor).

Don't have much more info than that, but for the 260 bottle range, I found this to be the best for me at the price range I was looking in. There are much more expensive models, and there are cheaper models, but I was told to stay away from the cheaper brands.

Eurocave makes a double unit like mine, so it would be in the mid-500 range. Don't know the pricing, but would advise you call prior to placing an internet order to see if you can get a better deal. My 260 was $3500 after extended warranty, delivery, extra shelving, the works.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:15 pm

Also have a VinoTemp E line.. which is the least expensive and it is in the garage as well.. It is not designed as a piece of furniture for the house.. it is purely utilitarian.. mine is double deep and the racking is 12 x 17.. so holds 408 in the racks and probably another 40 or so on top....

I got all my racking Chard/Burgundy size.. that way you don't scrape the labels off any of those fat bottles, Syrah included. Also, I have big hands, so I couldn't even reach in the regular racking to get to the back bottle in the racks.. so keep that in mind.

I was lucky to be able to get a floor model.. if you talk to them, ask them if they do have any floor models with oversize racking. I also upgraded to the larger cooling unit since we live in So CA and it gets hot in the summer...

To date, and I'm knocking on wood, I have no complaints about the unit. I'm glad to have all my stuff at home and not 10 miles away in a locker.

Here's something similar to the unit I have.. http://www.vinotemp.com/600-e-p-75.html
Cheers, Jim