The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Interesting WindGap '09's...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two Interesting WindGap '09's...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:02 pm

Tried these two interesting WindGaps last night:
1. WindGap TrousseauGris Fanucchi-WoodRoadVnyd/RRV (13.3%; 195 cs; #533) 2009: Med.gold/burnished bronze color w/ some particulant sediment; strong herbal/floral/marigolds/apple/quince somewhat rustic some earthy quite interesting nose; fairly tart/tangy some herbal/floral/pungent/marigolds some earthy/rustic/bit metallic fairly rich rather exotic flavor w/ lots of coarse/rustic notes; very long fairly floral/marigolds/pungent/apple/quince rather rich/lush some earthy/rustic/dusty/OV quite interesting bit rough/rustic/tangy/metallic finish; very slight oxidative/nutty character but little signs of being 12 yrs old; quite an interesting white that reminds slightly of GusSebastiani's GrayRiesling or GreenHungarians but much more character; seems direct-to-press w/ no signs of skin contact; a bit like an older SauvBlanc; quite an interesting white.
2. WindGap Piccolo Bastardo RW Fannuchi-WoodRoadVnyd/RRV (14.2%; 33 cs; #108) 2009: Rather rose/Ramato/light red/dark rose slight bricking color; light cranberry/watermelon slight floral/hollyhock/pungent some earthy/dusty/OV bit rustic/spicy/cinnamon some fragrant rather interesting nose; rather soft/fat bit tangy/metallic some cranberry/watermelon earthy/dusty/OV rather oldRose-like rather interesting flavor w/ light smooth tannins; very long some cranberry/watermelon light floral/hollyhock/pungent bit earthy/dusty/coarse/OV slight rustic/spicy finish w/ light gentle tannins; resembles an aged Rose more than anything; quite an interesting and by no means over the hill but has probably seen better days.
1. TrousseauGris was long planted in Calif where it was known as GrayRiesling & made rather innocuous whites. The GR of GusSebastiani (the folksy guy in the striped bib overalls) was probably one of the best but still rather pedestrian in character. Fannuchi-WoodRd has about the only remaining blocks of GR around. It would be a shame to see it go.
The Piccolo Bastardo grape is a bit of a mystery. Somebody help me out. Bastardo is a variety used in making Madeira and Porto that is also known as TrousseauNoir. It may very well be that this grape name was the one that Pax chose to use in making a skin-contact TrousseauGris. Beats heck out of me.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Two Interesting WindGap '09's...(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:59 pm

IIRC, the Piccolo Bastardo was indeed the name for the skin contact Trousseau. I had a couple of bottles of it back in the day.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Two Interesting WindGap '09's...(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:03 pm

I had two bottles of 2010...from my CT consumed bottles report.

2010 Wind Gap Wines Trousseau Gris Piccolo Bastardo Fanucchi Vineyard
Decisions are made by those who show up