The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WT4Nights: Whole Cluster Seminar #1

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

WT4Nights: Whole Cluster Seminar #1

by Pat G » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:07 pm

Bedrock Ode to Lulu Rose' CA, 2019

Salmon with hints of orange, fading to pink at rim. Aromas are red fruit dominant: sour cherry, cherry, cranberry, raspberry, red currant. Hints of earth and animal: forest floor, dust, a bit of meat or leather. Spice is minimal and difficult to discern; maybe a hint of clove and fennel. On the palate, less intense but still compelling with all that's occurring. Medium body, finish with staying power. Medium plus acidity. Tasted over 4 days and very little fading. Great acid. Seems to be Mataro/Grenache blend with the former adding that animal/earthy note. Apparently whole cluster fermentation. Read that whole cluster can add character, complexity, aromatics. This wine is a good example of that. An interesting splurge and one of the better rose' wines we have had this year. Screwcap.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WT4Nights: Whole Cluster Seminar #1

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:54 am

I am not a frequent rose drinker, but the 2019 OtL was a lovely bottle. I stashed one away just to see what happens with a couple extra years.

I don't like the 2020 nearly as much - it seems thin by comparison. Tough year though.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

Re: WT4Nights: Whole Cluster Seminar #1

by Pat G » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:22 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I am not a frequent rose drinker, but the 2019 OtL was a lovely bottle. I stashed one away just to see what happens with a couple extra years.

I don't like the 2020 nearly as much - it seems thin by comparison. Tough year though.

https://www.vinography.com/2021/09/cali ... rs-vintage

Have a contact who is buying more of the 2019 vintage of key wines as none being produced 2020. Tough year, indeed. Especially for late ripeners...Cab Sauv etc.