The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rieslings, Loires, Langhe, St.Em, WA

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Rieslings, Loires, Langhe, St.Em, WA

by Dale Williams » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:47 am

Some friends came over Friday- lovely night on patio - smoked mussels, shrimp, burrata caprese, grilled salmon, sausages, squash.

2017 Pepiere Clisson Muscadet
Full, citrus and saline, good length.B+

2016 Guion “Cuvee Domaine” Bourgueil
Dark fruit, herbs, pine needle. Tasty if not very long. B

2018 Cavallotto Langhe Nebbiolo
Structured for Langhe Nebbiolo, plenty of tannic, but still quite quaffable. Noce balance, sappy red fruits, long finish. If blind and you told me Barolo I wouldn’t hsve blinked. B+/A-

Saturday just me with swordfish steaks, Chioggia beets, kale.
2001 Trimbach “Cuvee Frederic Emile” Riesling
Stony/seashell, petrol, white peach. Racy, lively, long. In the spot. A-

Some friends hard hit by flood came over to use shower and laundry, and had another friend join us all for dinner. Lots of food- shrimp cocktail, smoked mussel canapes, radish leaf pesto on radish, oysters. Caprese. Steak, sausage, potato salad, wax beans, green salad, cheeses.

Wines were all ones that were on floor when Ida came.

NV Bremont “Cuvee Prestige” Riesling

Lovely and long in a big ripe style. B+/B

2017 Bouley “La Comtesse” Sancerre

Young, snappy, citrus and a hint of grass. Long and balanced. A-

2004 Ch. Pavie-Macquin
Soft and lush, black plum fruit, mocha. A bit international. B

2014 Rotie Cellars Southern Blend

I thought this was a bit over the hill, but one guest loved (I opened because I remembered him liking on release). Kirsch, rather jammy fruit, a little ashtray. C+/B-

No wine Monday as I went to city, Tuesday I did cod in a green Thai curry (I confess- TJ's jarred sauce) over soba. Wine was the 2015 Koehler-Ruprecht Kallstadter Saumagen Riesling Spatlese Trocken). Nice contrast to the CFE, brawny, with pear and peach, smoke, gunflint. Very interesting (and tasty). A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Rieslings, Loires, Langhe, St.Em, WA

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:09 am

That's an excellent selection.

I need to try the Cavallotto Langhe. Several people I trust have spoken highly of it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:11 am

I don't have extensive experience with Rotie, but 1) despite the name their style doesn't come across to me as old world where acidity and tannins are concerned, and 2) all that I've had suggest a drink-now, say 3-5 years from release, life span. I've joked that they should change their name to 'Renton' as would better fit their target audience.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:37 am

I think I bought originally because I enjoyed the Northern Bland at a big tasting.
I don't really see many WA wines, though I buy Andrew Will when I see.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:46 am

Andrew Will's great, glad you've enjoyed them. And if you didn't know, Chris Camarda's son Will has taken over the winemaking and he's really revitalizing the brand. Chris has suffered a lot of depression since his wife's death and the wines had become inconsistent. Will has dialed things back a bit in ways that are much more agreeable to those of us with European tastes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov