The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Big House Red Big House Wines California.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2004 Big House Red Big House Wines California.

by Bob Ross » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:58 pm

2004 Big House Red Big House Wines California. 13.5% alcohol. $9.00 in the remainder bin at Endless Vine.

Deep red, medium hue, complicated (but not complex) aroma and tastes of cherry fruit and spice, a bit of acid, light tannins, medium mouth feel, long single note finish. 2*.

A confusing blend of Carignane, Sangiovese, Charbono, Petit Sirah, Zinfandel, Barbera, Syrah, Grenache Noir, Montepulciano. I didn't find it interesting in any respect. It's drinkable, and as one of the last of the Big House Reds made by Randall -- he sold the brand in late July 2006 -- worth a ten for old times sake. But, it's not the Bonny Doon Ca' del Sol Big House wine that I loved to kick back with a pizza instead of a beer. Next time: beer. :-(

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

Re: WTN: 2004 Big House Red Big House Wines California.

by ClarkDGigHbr » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:23 am

Say it isn't so. :cry:

You could always count on this Doon blend for a decent quaff at a decent price.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: 2004 Big House Red Big House Wines California.

by Bill Hooper » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:40 am

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:Say it isn't so. :cry:

You could always count on this Doon blend for a decent quaff at a decent price.

-- Clark

I don't know about you guys, but with the insane array of wines available to the US consumer these days (at EVERY price), 'decent quaff' just doesn't cut it anymore. The 'concept' red blend category of leftover grapes is the most boring and predictable wine found on shelves these days. What used to be true field blends are now just easy drinking kitchen-sink blends with a cute label and a $10 price tag. They are the Bud Light of the wine industry and the 'Jug' wines of our generation. Join me in raising a torch against this Frankensteins Monster.

Prost!
Bill