The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Pouilly-Fuisse -yay or nay?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Do you like Pouilly-Fuisse?

Yes, I do
82%
No, I don't
18%

Total votes : 22
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Pouilly-Fuisse -yay or nay?

by Bill Hooper » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:23 am

Just wondering what you folks think about the most popular Burgundy in America. It has such a timid following, no doubt because of the oceans of bad Pouilly-Fuisse that has been consumed in America for the past 40 years. That said, I for one have had some spectacular bottles recently from both the old guard and new gunslingers alike. If done right from the right places, it can be wonderfully expressive and complex. It may be, at the same time, the most over-rated and under-rated white Burgundy ever.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Pouilly-Fuisse -yay or nay?

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:33 am

Don't get around to drinking much of it. But then again it's Chardonnay not from Chablis.

Instead of yay or nay I would probably say yawn, but I'm sure there are plenty I would enjoy. If I could find the time.

Perhaps that fits right into your comment.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:31 am

Bill Hooper wrote:Just wondering what you folks think about the most popular Burgundy in America.

I rarely buy or drink it, Bill, mainly because of my prejudice that its reputation certainly inspires overpricing and may inspire industrial wine. In contrast with Rahsaan, though, I'm fine with White Burgundy in general, not just Chablis, and I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy a specific P-F on the basis of either a good review (from a source I trust) or a good price on a bottling from a negociant or importer I valued.

In practice, though, while I can't say "never," I doubt that I've had more than a half-dozen PF's over the past decade, with the possible exception of during travel to Burgundy.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:09 am

Although it is the top Maconnais it isn't. With a touch of oak or more, it more resembles those Burgs from more upcountry. For the same price or less, we can enjoy a nice Rully. We love the other Maconnais and drink lots of them, topping out with St Veran.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:43 pm

I voted yes, but hardly ever buy it. I find there are better values elsewhere in Burgundy- less famous Macon villages if I want crisp/no oak, Rully, Auxey-D, or Savigny if I want a bigger style.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:30 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I voted yes, but hardly ever buy it. I find there are better values elsewhere in Burgundy- less famous Macon villages if I want crisp/no oak, Rully, Auxey-D, or Savigny if I want a bigger style.

I voted no, for all the reasons that Dale states :wink:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:07 pm

I've never thought about it, but a quick review of the cellar shows not a single bottle of P-F. Guess that sorta answers the question.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:01 pm

Voted "yes". I do like the JJ Vincent "Les Clos" P-F version.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:44 pm

Check out Eric Forest. He's poised to become the next big thang down there. After an apprenticeship with Jean-Michel Guffens, he has struck out on his own. Now, his wines top Jean-Michels IMO (Although I've never been a huge Verget guy), and certainly are less heavy handed. I also like very much the wines of Barraud, who has been the big thang for some time. These guys really opened my eyes to the elegance and individuality that Pouilly-Fuisse can be.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:38 am

Voted yes. Until this year had never had any P-F. Consumed a bottle of Drouhin ($20) early in the year with a pork roast and it was tasty and a superb match. Just so different than the typical Cal Chard. Bought another bottle.

I also picked up, around the same time, the Drouhin St.-Veran and later on the Latour S-V. Both were about $15 but I haven't had occasion to open either yet. Maybe tasting those will change my mind if I can get the same experience for 25% less cost.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:03 am

I like the Bret/La Soufrandiere P-Fs, but the price is equal to village wines from Ramonet (or Matrot/Pernot 1ers). It's the pricing not the wines to me.
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:52 pm

Hi Bill,

I just had some from Macon last night at a wine tasting. It was pretty intense and acidic. It cried out for food. Tasting note to be posted later, maybe tomorrow.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:08 pm

Sam Platt wrote:Voted "yes". I do like the JJ Vincent "Les Clos" P-F version.

Yup, for us Ch. Fuisse are consistently good, but have found little else to excite
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:24 pm

I didn't vote on this one. I like a few Pouilly-Fuisse but don't buy it often and have had some clunkers. I have had a decent one from Bouchard and bought a bottle from Merlin but was particularly impressed with the Chateau Fuisse P.F. v.v. Also liked one by the glass at Chris's Steak House here in Fayetteville but don't recall the producer's name. (I had it before dinner--not with steak.)