The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent Sauv Blancs from all over

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Recent Sauv Blancs from all over

by Jenise » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:57 pm

2017 San Michele Appiano (St. Michael-Eppan) Sauvignon Lahn Alto Adige - Südtirol
2nd of two bottles purchased together recently, and surprisingly stunning--as taut, complex and minerally as the other was fleshy and seemingly overripe. Absolutely gorgeous, couldn't love it more. Would order a case if it were still available (and it's not).

2019 Kerloo Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Columbia Valley, WA
Tasted blind. First thoughts went to France, then Italy. Very pale, no sign of extract or oak. Dusty nose with limestone minerality on the palate, green and white fruits of which none stand out vs. blending harmoniously into a finish that's clean, fresh and dry. Blew me away that it's a Washington wine. One of the best of same I've had in a long while. Kudos, Kerloo, kudos.

2020 Jules Taylor Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough
Pale, an acid bomb, sharp and a bit shrill. Leftovers on Day Two improved greatly. Needs a lengthy decant or another year in the cellar to integrate.

2019 Pròdigo Sauvignon Blanc Friuli Grave
Pale, lime, dust, medium body, high minerality, crisp, with a finish that goes on and on. Killer value for only $11 locally.

2016 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough
Obvious New Zealandish flavors of green apple, grapefruit and gooseberry, but big bodied and tropical/riper than seems right. Turns out to have been a passively stored older bottle, only surprise is that it's Cloudy Bay.

2020 Charles Krug Winery (Peter Mondavi Family) Sauvignon Blanc St. Helena
Pale, almost clear. Dusty nose, otherwise like a day on a Mexican beach:
cheerful margarita/lime flavors with a bit of seaspray.

2018 Les Hauts de Larrivet Haut-Brion Blanc Pessac-Léognan Sauvignon Blanc
Can't disagree with the last reviewer (on CT who gave it 70 pts). Pale yellow. Has no sense of place or characteristics that even relate to the grape, just a distant note of gasoline that develops with time in the glass. A travesty at $36.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov