The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Advice on visiting the Mosel?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Advice on visiting the Mosel?

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:58 am

I'm currently planning a 3 or 4 night trip to the Mosel in early May and was wondering if anyone had advice about particular towns where we could stay? Places that have a particularly good combination of attractiveness and proximity to winemakers?

I'll be with my girlfriend so it won't be Non-Stop Wine All the Time, and there are so many great producers I don't necessarily have one or two places I absolutely have to be. But, names that come immediately to mind are Schaefer, Haag, perhaps JJ Prum, Grunhauser, E Muller, von Hovel, Karthauserhof (is it silly to think of visiting the Ruwer and the Saar as well?)

Any advice much appreciated.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Advice on visiting the Mosel?

by Randy Buckner » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:40 am

We stayed in Ürzig, a sleepy little village that lies at the foot of the spectacular Ürziger Würzgarten Vineyard. Hotel Weinhaus Moselschild was highly recommended to us for its accommodations, food, and stunning wine list. We were not disappointed. Our gracious hostess, Cacilie Hyllus, checked us in, seated us for dinner, and attended to our every need, including sommelier duties, without being obtrusive. I would stay there again. Have fun.

ImageImage
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:51 am

Hi Rahsaan,
Ürzig is a good place, but many villages in the area offer accommodation. The Moselschild is among the most expensive available. I don't have any particular recommendations for hotels or B&Bs. It may be best to work out your winery visits and dinner places first. Any plans yet?
It is quite possible that I may be able to meet you there. How do you plan to get there? Would a stop over in the Saarlnd be an option?

Peter
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:02 am

Peter Ruhrberg wrote:I don't have any particular recommendations for hotels or B&Bs. It may be best to work out your winery visits and dinner places first. Any plans yet?

No. There are so many places to possibly visit and I probably won't be able to convince my girlfriend to come along to more than one or two wineries per day (i.e. either morning or afternoon) that I figured I would see what the accomodation situation was.

It is quite possible that I may be able to meet you there. How do you plan to get there? Would a stop over in the Saarlnd be an option?
Peter

I was wondering if you would be around. This is the tail end of a 2 week vacation coming down from Nordoney to Dortmund, where we will be driving from, so the schedule is a bit tight in terms of extra stops. But, if you can make your way to the Mosel that would certainly work for us. Right now we're looking at May 1/2 -4/5. Keith M (who is new to the board but an "old" acquaintance of mine) will be driving up from Stuttgart FWIW..
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:03 am

Randy Buckner wrote:We stayed in Ürzig, a sleepy little village that lies at the foot of the spectacular Ürziger Würzgarten Vineyard.

I think I've heard of the Moselchild, certainly is a nice view. Thanks.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:48 am

For more basic but pleasant accommodations I have stayed several weekends at Central Hotel in Traben-Trarbach. (It's on the Traben side of the river.) On a hill so front rooms have a view over the town and river. They serve evening meals and have a halbpension plan available. (I think it used to be breakfast only.) Bernkastel is a more bustling town depending on what you seek (peace and quiet or activity). A lunch or dinner in Bernkastel might be fun.

http://www.central-hotel-traben.de/ If you go to the website, click on the red arrow for more photos of the hotel rooms, etc.

For sightseeing, I would try to include Burg Eltz at Moselkern. It might take up half your day or more but is worth it. I think Hoke knows of what I speak. I believe he has been there also.

http://www.burg-eltz.de/ and http://great-castles.com/eltz.html

Visiting Burg Eltz is like stepping into a Fairytale (from second website)

http://www.pbase.com/sandpiper/burg_eltz (for a photo gallery of Burg Eltz(
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:26 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Peter Ruhrberg wrote:I was wondering if you would be around. This is the tail end of a 2 week vacation coming down from Nordoney to Dortmund, where we will be driving from, so the schedule is a bit tight in terms of extra stops. But, if you can make your way to the Mosel that would certainly work for us. Right now we're looking at May 1/2 -4/5. Keith M (who is new to the board but an "old" acquaintance of mine) will be driving up from Stuttgart FWIW..

Do you have my @web.de e-mail still? we should try to work something out. I will be in Köln on 28/29 of April, and on vacation from then onwards. It now looks like I may have time for a Mosel visit.

Btw, Traben Trabach is a bit out of the way for winery visits in the middle Mosel, but you may want to visit Vollenweider there...

Peter
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:34 pm

Peter Ruhrberg wrote:Do you have my @web.de e-mail still? we should try to work something out. I will be in Köln on 28/29 of April, and on vacation from then onwards. It now looks like I may have time for a Mosel visit.

Yes, do have it. Will be in touch as things shape up, but you can always PM me as well.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:35 pm

JC (NC) wrote:Visiting Burg Eltz is like stepping into a Fairytale

Yes, the photos are lovely, thanks for the idea.. (My girlfriend will need something to do inbetween all the wine spitting and vine-staring)..
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:18 pm

JC (NC) wrote:For sightseeing, I would try to include Burg Eltz at Moselkern. Visiting Burg Eltz is like stepping into a Fairytale.

See, JC, you brought a tear to my eye. When I lived in and around Mainz, I used to visit Burg Eltz rather frequently. You walk through that dark colonnade of trees and then, as you emerge, the castle just seems to appear on the hilltop out of nowhere. Mystical, magical ...

It was one of my parents' fondest memories of Germany. Of course, what stuck out in their minds was the lentil porridge with the nice German sausage and hearty hunk of bread they had at the castle restaurant, but the both spoke about it often until they passed away. Now, all I have is photographs and memories. Thanks for stirring them up.
And now what?
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:23 pm

Gary,
I'm not Jenise (not even a pretender) but thank you anyway. Burg Eltz is my favorite castle in Germany and I have visited a fair number of them.
I visited Schloss Linderhof (one of Ludwig's castles in Bavaria) with my parents once. You have this white castle with a backdrop of mountain evergreens, a waterfall, etc. Dad says with a straight face "It kind of reminds me of the home place." Cracked me up. Dad was from Red Cloud, Nebraska.

Oops, by the time I posted this you had made the correction.
no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

by Graeme Gee » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:17 pm

Peter Ruhrberg wrote:Do you have my @web.de e-mail still? we should try to work something out. I will be in Köln on 28/29 of April, and on vacation from then onwards. It now looks like I may have time for a Mosel visit.

Btw, Traben Trabach is a bit out of the way for winery visits in the middle Mosel, but you may want to visit Vollenweider there...

Peter

Rahsaan,
As lucky recipients of Peter's hospitality and organising skills back in 2003, I would recommend that you juggle your schedule as required to join him if at all possible. Our visit with Peter to Heymann-Löwenstein, the tasting, & spargel lunch afterwards is one of the enduring memories of our trip. Just wonderful.
cheers,
Graeme
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:24 pm

I remember hearing that several wineries that now offer accommodation, although I can't provide specific names offhand. There are numerous hotels and also lots of private apartments (Ferienwohnung) for rent throughout the area as well. Prices are very reasonable.

Staying anywhere in the Bernkastel/Urzig/Wehlen area (they are all very close) will situate you well for visits to many excellent producers (e.g., Loosen, Selbach-Oster, JJ Prum, Pauly-Bergweiler, etc.). It's less than an hour to many Saar or Ruwer wineries from there, as well.

There are some beautiful hikes in that area too - I'd highly recommend walking around a bit while you are there. It might keep your girlfriend distracted from all the winery visits! I remember one that goes from Bernkastel to Traben-Trarbach: when the weather is nice, there are awesome views of the river and vineyards.

Driving up to Trier, a lovely city, may also be a useful diversion. It's about an hour drive away from the Bernkastel area as well.

It's a beautful area, enjoy your stay!
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:33 am

Graeme Gee wrote:
Peter Ruhrberg wrote:Our visit with Peter to Heymann-Löwenstein, the tasting, & spargel lunch afterwards is one of the enduring memories of our trip. Just wonderful.

I cann't take credit for Reinhard Löwensteins wit and friendliness, nor for the quality of the aspargus. It's hard to go wrong with these :).

Peter
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:13 am

John S wrote:There are some beautiful hikes in that area too - I'd highly recommend walking around a bit while you are there. It might keep your girlfriend distracted from all the winery visits!

Yes, I think that is correct..

Should be fun..