The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Visitor from Chile raids my Alsace stash!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Visitor from Chile raids my Alsace stash!!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:35 am

Virginia (a real horse expert) is not much of a wine drinker but seems partial to"good spicey whites" so she was directed to my Willm stash as I was tasting a new malbec from Catena!

WTN: `04 Tokay Pinot Gris Reserve, Willm.

Probably the last time we will see"Tokay" on an Alsatian wine label. The colour was a medium straw w. hint of typical onion skin. On the nose, found some minerally tones, apple, pear and spice. Off-dry style, excellent acidity, nice balance, white fruits but I expected more excitement. "Little bit too sweet but easy to drink" was a comment from our visitor. I had to agree so we moved onto the gewurtz!

WTN: `03 Gewurtztraminer,Willm.

I had read that the newly released vintage was a show-stopper so happy to open this one. Clear bright yellow, good solid flavours. Nice spicey bite on the finish, round and expressive character of this varietal. Lotsa lychee and rose petals flow from the glass but felt I needed a wine that had a tad more depth.

Food was basically some stir-fried chicken breast with some freshly made sauerkraut. Yum!!
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: Visitor from Chile raids my Alsace stash!!

by Bill Hooper » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:27 pm

Can you blame her? Look at ALL of the bad Pinot Gris and Gewurztraminer coming out of Chile these days! Of course I kid. I've had Chilean Riesling, but Gewurz has yet to grace my table. Anyone?

prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:14 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Can you blame her? Look at ALL of the bad Pinot Gris and Gewurztraminer coming out of Chile these days! Of course I kid. I've had Chilean Riesling, but Gewurz has yet to grace my table. Anyone?

prost!
Bill

There is a guy importing some very good Chilean wines into NZ, amongst which is the Cono Sur range.

Cono Sur Gewurztraminer 2005 - Bio Bio Valley
Musky, varietal aroma, sweetish flavours with a lemon blossom, musk and honey backbone. 3 stars (bronze medal standard).

The 2004 was better (evidently) and the 2006 has just been released (though I've not tasted it). The 2006 vintage is being hyped as one of the best.

I've yet to taste a Chilean Pinot Gris - but I've had Viognier from Cono Sur and a very exciting dry Riesling, and they make very good Pinot Noir, as mentioned in another thread today or yesterday.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:12 am

Thanks Sue,

I have had Cono Sur's Pinot Noir (I think they make at least 4 or 5), which is very much their flagship. I did like the Viognier -a very clean, crisp, straightforward style for $10. I'll look for the Gewurztraminer too -and will try to give it a fair shake (although I'm rather naturally biased to Alsace and a handful from Northern Italy).
On a related note; I've had a few NZ Gewurztraminer that were deceent. I've heard that many winemakers down there are pretty excited about them. Any thoughts?

Prost!
Bill