The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mature Bdx plus whites at Balvanera

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Mature Bdx plus whites at Balvanera

by Dale Williams » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:14 am

A group had scheduled to meet to greet an out of town friend but his trip got cancelled- we met anyway. A nice group of 6 gathered at Balvanera, an Argentine place on LES.. Outdoor space was nice, rain had stopped but awning wide enough it wouldn't have mattered. Good food and very good service. The octopus with olives, beet with ricotta, ,and salmon crudo with blood orange & fennel pollen were all excellent. I also thought the empanadas were good. We split some steaks and sausages- I loved the skirt and morcilla, really liked the ribeye, liked the strip steak and chorizo. Sides were good as well (though I’ve never seen so much dill in a green salad). I’ll be back.

NV Marc Hebrart “Mes Favorites” Brut Champagne

Nice flavor profile though dosage is a bit intrusive. Bread, apple, and peach,.broad. B+/B

2012 Abbatucci General de la Revolution blanc
I blinded crew with this, they didn’t stand a chance (guesses were Loire and Rhone, both reasonable). I like the wine, but even I only know one of the 6 grapes (25% Carcajolu Biancu, 25% Paga Debiti, 20% Riminese, 15% Rossola Brandica, 10% Biancone, 5% Vermentinu).
Savory and saline, citrus and almonds. long and leesy. B+/A-

2014 Boulay Culs de Beaujeu Sancerre
Dynamite with the octopus. Blinded, I got producer and vineyard, but big hints. Citrus, chalk, a floral note, long. B++

1970 Magdelaine
Great nose when double-decanted for travel, a bit closed on serving, opens back up with time. Cassis and black plum, tangy, lots of earth/mushroom. Better at end. B+/B

1988 Magdelaine
This is elegant for an ‘88, resolved tannin, silky texture, but meat still helps a lot. Black cherry, blood orange, and a spice/sandalwood note, this really grew on me. B+/A-

1979 La Tour Haut Brion
Surprisingly round for a ‘79, red fruits and cigarbox, good finish. B+

1970 Domaine de Chevalier
This was good to start with, but was great with some air at end. Classic nose of tobacco and gravel, red and black plum, a ferric note. Great length, depth. A-

1970 Haut-Bailly

Rich lush texture (surprising for HB). red and black cherries, a little cocoa. B+/A-

1978 Haut-Bailly
Little hint of barnyard (a feature not a flaw), dark plum, lean in a good way, nicely balanced. B+

1981 Haut-Bailly
Redder fruit, tobacco, mushrooms, fun! B+

2 bonus Margaux bottles were opened late, no chance to really breathe

1970 Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre

Pretty open right away, resolved tannin, balanced acid, black fruit and some dirt. Ready to go, pleasant wine Others liked more. B

1978 Palmer

Tight but still convincing, red fruit framed with truffle and cocoa, balanced, wish I had time to follow more. A-/B+

I had to dash for the train, but what a fun night! No wine I wouldn’t happily have on my dinner table.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

Re: WTN: Mature Bdx plus whites at Balvanera

by Patrick Martin » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:35 pm

Was digging around with the search engine and found this post. Still can’t believe I had to miss this one. Sensational lineup. Thanks for the notes.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Mature Bdx plus whites at Balvanera

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:09 pm

Oof. I didn’t even notice Dale’s 2021 date until you mentioned “archives.” I probably missed it the first time around as I was on vacation at the time it was originally posted.

I had a specific question about the Hebrart, but too late now!
Decisions are made by those who show up