The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Loire, Burgundy, Bierzo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Loire, Burgundy, Bierzo

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:34 pm

No wine Thursday, Friday we went over to friends- appetizers on front porch (fried green tomatoes with remoulade), then inside for kielbasa, cabbage, and white beans,
Epoisses and another runny cheese, & cookies.2018 Finca Luna Beberide Mencia (Bierzo)
Spicy red fruits, floral, a green flower stem note that reminds me of pineau d’aunis. Fun, bright, and different. B+/B

Betsy will be away on basset hound’s birthday, so we had Ruby’s party Sat (7 dogs besides her, ranging from 6 pounds to 120 lbs). . I had out some potential wines (Mulderbosch Faithful Hound, ESJ Bassetti, couple of Dent de Chien burgs), but everyone chose hot cider. That evening we had roast cod, roast root vegetables (parsnips, carrot, onion)Israeli couscous with chickpeas and peppers, and bok choy salad with apple. So opened one of Ruby’s wines, the 2015 Thomas Morey “Dent de Chien” Chassagne-Montrachet 1er. Rich 2015 ripeness, enough acid to keep it going, pear and hazelnut. Satisfying in a rather round style. B/B+

Sunday we started with oysters, and the 2002 Huet Vouvray Petillant Brut. Unsure which release, discovered in a recent cellar cleanup, in least temp stable corner. . I had mixed results with these, some were premoxed, but at 19 I think we could just call it ox. This had only a hint of petillance, and some caramelly notes that said too old. Yet there was an interesting core underneath, a strong acid core, with flavors of ripe apple and honey (and yes, caramel). But I kept returning. B/B-

Dinner was local pork chops, leftover couscous, salad, with the 2007 Lafouge “Les Duresses” Auxey-Duresses 1er. Found in same case as the Huet, thought I had drunk these decade before. I’m usually only buying the La Chapelle, but this is lovely and a pointe. Red cherries, light herbs, woodsmoke. Elegant and charming, with a snappy and long finish. Who knew? A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.