The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2019 Wasenhaus Spätburgunder

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: 2019 Wasenhaus Spätburgunder

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:29 am

2019 Wasenhaus Am Kreuz Spätburgunder
Crisp clear trembling young sappy transparent fruit. A few pinot gris vines mixed in, which may add to the brightness (or is that just my imagination). But still a decent amount of berry pit succulence; no doubt that it's red wine. Not a complex wine and not necessarily something to chase down or pay lots of money for. But lots of easy fun and the bottle emptied in a flash.

2019 Wasenhaus Bellen Spätburgunder
Darker and juicier than the light trembling Am Kreuz. But still in the light delicate transparent style. This is supposed to be a bottling to age, but I'm not sure I can evaluate that potential. It's not particularly deep or complex right now. Yes it's finer than Am Kreuz, but still feels like a wine that is mainly easy juicy fun.

Have heard good things about Wasenhaus and these were sufficiently delicious for me to keep buying and exploring in Germany. But my initial reaction is that there is no way I would pay US prices (I believe the Bellen is over $100).
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2019 Wasenhaus Spätburgunder

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:02 am

US pricing has kept me from trying them.

Spätburgunder in the US is generally an overpriced commodity. Lyle Fass sometimes has a lower priced offering, where I have dipped my toes in the water.

The few times I have purchased a higher priced Spätburgunder I have been left thinking that for half the price (or less!) I could have had a really good Bourgogne.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2019 Wasenhaus Spätburgunder

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:22 am

David M. Bueker wrote:US pricing has kept me from trying them.

Spätburgunder in the US is generally an overpriced commodity.

Frankly, Wasenhaus is pushing the limits on being overpriced in Germany as well. Not sure if they bought expensive land as a new startup or what. The Bellen was a bit over 60euros and I'm not sure how much more I would buy. I'll probably try a few more of the various cuvees to see if my opinion changes, but as you said, there are so many other options, including in Burgundy!