The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ben E.

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:31 pm

Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Noir

by Ben E. » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:34 pm

I was a little bit surprised not to find any WTN for this. I had a bottle from 2002 not too long ago and it was quite unexpected. Much paler in color than most Pinots, and more garnet than ruby. I think they were going for 'elegant', but it just tasted weak to me. If I had to sum it up in one word, it would be "meh." Has anyone else tried this wine?
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

Re: Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Noir

by michael dietrich » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:36 pm

I am a retailer here in Oregon. Eyrie is one of our oldest wineries. They are always a bit on the light side both in color flavor. David Lett strives for more elegance and delicacy in his wines. As time has shown his wines do age well.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:36 pm

Ben, Eyrie is one of Oregon's pioneering pinot producers, but their quality IMO has not survived the years. I've never had a wine as good as the first Eyrie I had, the 88. I understand striving for elegance but the recent Eyries I've had just taste diluted.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ben E.

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:31 pm

by Ben E. » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:19 pm

I was familiar with the story of the vineyard, which is probably why I was so surprised by the wine. I think that Jenise hit the name on the head with saying recent vintages taste "diluted". I have a 2003 in the cellar, I'll be sure to take notes when we pop that one open.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:22 pm

Excuse me for not checking, but I thought '02 was David's last vintage. I've resisted opening my '02 Oregon PNs (not that I have that many) so far; I think they will reward a few more years of patience.

Given the notes that I've read, I will especially hold off on these. It is amazing how significant bottle age can fill out wines that seemed thin in the early years. Which is probably why you don't find many "elegant" style producers.

Loved the slim profile bottle btw.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:59 pm

Dan Donahue wrote:Excuse me for not checking, but I thought '02 was David's last vintage.

I heard that Eyrie just finished a massive re-planting of their vineyards, so the wines may be a little scarce for a few vintages.

Prost!
Bill