The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: What a day for a daydream

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: What a day for a daydream

by Jenise » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:30 pm

In the Okanagan Valley last week we visited Daydreamer winery, a tiny organic producer making around 1500 cases and presided over by husband Marcus Ansems MW, wife Rachel, four employees and three sheep. Yeah, three sheep. Our pourer mentioned that the sheep would probably come out when they heard visitors (we were the first appt of the day) and sure enough, before long, these three huge sheep, one white and two black, came barreling down the little road to the vineyard to greet us.

I was quite enamored with them and they with me but I got dumped when they discovered our friend Coop's dog, Bobby, and Bobby got dumped when a new party showed up two tables down (no tasting room here, just a few picnic tables) with a border collie. Pretty hilarious watching them interact--no kidding, the collie had been trained way back when at a farm that had sheep, so he immediately went to work only to be flabbergasted when the sheep weren't impressed with his fancy moves. (If sheep could laugh....)

They make three or four more wines including a pinot noir I probably would have killed for, but they're already sold out. These are the current releases still available:

2019 Marcus Ansems Rachel's Vineyard Cuvée Okanagan Valley Champagne Blend
Chardonnay, pinot gris and pinot noir, zero dosage. Pale, complex, excellent.

2020 Daydreamer Chardonnay Marcus Ansems Okanagan Valley
Unfined, unfiltered, all estate fruit. Multi-faceted, exotic and magical flavors unlike any chardonnay I've ever had. The pourer mentioned Chablis but it's not that, nor is it anything like other North Americans. Really special, only five barrels made, and in spite of the price higher than most in the area (C$50) it's flying out of the tiny tasting room. Released 120 cases just 6 or 8 weeks ago, and by the time we arrived only eight remained. By the time we left, just seven. :)

2019 Daydreamer Jasper Okanagan Valley Red Bordeaux Blend
Winery tasting. A merlot-heavy Bordeaux blend with loads of spice, minerality and graphite. I bought some.

2020 Daydreamer Amelia Okanagan Valley Syrah Blend, Syrah
90% Syrah, 10% viognier. Very concentrated and floral but overtly grapey at this stage, and I'm unable to appreciate it. Just too young.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: What a day for a daydream

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:09 pm

You weren’t sheepish. :)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:11 pm

Thanks for the notes, I've driven by there several times but gave them a miss because I hadn't heard much about them. I'll stop in next time!

Looking forward to seeing many more notes from your Okanagan trip (no pressure)! Did you make it to Row 14 restaurant?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:10 pm

John S wrote:Thanks for the notes, I've driven by there several times but gave them a miss because I hadn't heard much about them. I'll stop in next time!

Looking forward to seeing many more notes from your Okanagan trip (no pressure)! Did you make it to Row 14 restaurant?

There are so many wineries now, hard to narrow things down. I had the good luck of Bill and Dave making most of the choices, all I had to do was ride along. This was Dave's choice. The wines are well worth it; so are the sheep. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:17 pm

Oh, Row 14. We couldn't. Wanted to, and we explored meeting there on the way up but Dave's wife was going to be in meetings that morning, and we decided we couldn't on the way home because it would mean leaving Cawston too late. As it was, we left Summerland at 11 a.m. and didn't get home to Birch Bay until 7:15, with only three minor quick stops on the way. Didn't want to drive that lousy road in lousy weather in the dark.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:11 pm

OK Naramata area so know not so well. Will visit next July.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:14 pm

It's just up the hill, like a neighbor to, Nichol--another must-visit on the Naramata Bench.