The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Never break the Chénas

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Never break the Chénas

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:58 pm

• 2019 Domaine Thillardon Chénas Les Blémonts - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Chénas (10/17/2021)
    Pure red fruit backed up by ample acidity forms the signature of the wine. There’s some touches of earthy/herbal underneath, but it takes work to get to them. For now this is in the fun fruit phase.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Never break the Chénas

by Jenise » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:08 pm

A producer I've never heard of. Say, what's the 19 vintage supposed to be like? I haven't been following. The '18s enough to make me give up Beaujolais.

Btw, had a '16 Roillette last week, a regular not the Tardive. Was surprised at the strong watermelon flavor, a lot like the Wind Gap pinots I haven't gotten rid of. That's not what I think of from Roillette.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:24 pm

I can't speak to 2016, but 2019, while ripe (climate change!) is not the caricature that 2018 is to my palate. So far Roillette, Thivin and this Thillardon have all been very good.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:33 pm

I've thought '16 was a very good vintage. Perhaps especially following the fat '15s. But I got to know Roillette with the '10s and 11's. Big, sturdy, ageable vintages. It probably skewed my idea of what to expect from Roillette.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:39 pm

Jenise wrote:I've thought '16 was a very good vintage. Perhaps especially following the fat '15s. But I got to know Roillette with the '10s and 11's. Big, sturdy, ageable vintages. It probably skewed my idea of what to expect from Roillette.

No. Watermelon juice is not Roillette.