The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Truchard Roussanne Carneros '20...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Truchard Roussanne Carneros '20...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:10 pm

Tried this last night w/ Susan:
1. Truchard Roussanne Carneros/NapaVlly (14.1%; www.TruchardVineyards.com) Napa 2020: Med.gold color; lovely very fragrant floral/honeysuckle/gardenias light pencilly/oak/nutmeg/caradmon/quite spicy beautiful perfumed nose; fairly tart/tangy very strong floral/honeysuckle/honeyed/gardenias quite spicy/cardamon light pencilly/oak fairly rich/lush/balanced slight earthy/chalky fairly complex almost muscatty flavor; very long/lingering intense perfumed/floral/gardenias/honeysuckle/honeyed light pencilly/oak slight chalky some complex finish; an absolutely lovely very varietal expression of Roussanne at a terrific price, easily the equivalent of other Calif Roussannes priced at $30-$40/btl, and way far away from DollyParton territory; no reason it can't go out for another 4-8 yrs; a very intense balanced floral/almost muscatty character that reminds a bit of Malvasia d'Istriana but w/o the earthy minerality; terrific Rouss at a great price. $20.00 (SFW&S)
1. I have, of course, followed the wines of Tony & Joan Truchard, from way back in the '70's when FrankMahoney convinced them to plant grapes just up the road from CarnerosCreekWnry. The vnyd is located just on the Northern edge of the Carneros AVA as I recall.
This is another in a line of terrific Truchard Roussannes. I'm going back for more.
Tom